Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonky Bonnet

Hello everyone
    I've recently noticed that I've got a wonky bonnet! Not sure when and how it happened but I know it wasn't like it when I got the truck (over a year ago)
    Anyway, the drivers side edge doesn't sit flush when shut. the whole edge is up about 1cm.
    Does anyone have any handy hints how I might sort this. It shuts alright but doesn't look too good. All comments gratefuly received. Cheers
    You aint seen me, right

On the side thats raised, loosen the nuts on the hinge, (where it's bolted to the bonnet) and push the bonnet down untill it sits flush then tighten nuts back up.
    Only loosen the nuts enough to be able to push the bonnet into line.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      On the side thats raised, loosen the nuts on the hinge, (where it's bolted to the bonnet) and push the bonnet down untill it sits flush then tighten nuts back up.
      Only loosen the nuts enough to be able to push the bonnet into line.
      Cheers for that, simple when you know how
      You aint seen me, right

Comment

Re

LOL, wow!

Mine done exactly this as well!

I cured it by slapping a big dollop of grease on the stem that slides in and out of the bulkhead.

How would you tighten the nuts when the bonnet is closed?

Gary

Comment

Thats why I suggested loosening them just enough to push the bonnet down. Then open bonnet carefully to tighten nuts.
          However, if yours was just sticking, then (Matt the cat) explore that avenue first .

Comment

I've just tried loosening the bolts, a little and a lot, and there is no movement at all. Just seems to undo the bonnet from the hinge rather than allow for adjustment. The bonnet is a bit stiff when opening though, could this be linked? How would greasing the hinge affect the height at which the side of the bonnet sits?
            Quite a few questions, I know, but that's how you learn!
            You aint seen me, right

Comment

Sorry Matt, loosening the bolts won't do it, just had a look at mine. (Must have been thinking about my Mini at the time!)
              The only thing I can suggest is a squirt of WD40 or a dab of grease on the hinge 'arm' that goes through the bulkhead, as Gary says.

Comment

Re

WD40 doesnt seem to be enough to make it last!

You need to put a big dollop of grease on both of the arms (both sides), smear it up and down as far as you can.

Lift the bonnet up to it maximum travel (you need to S T R E T C H) and down again and keep doing this until it is "greased up".

Then, when you think is it fully lubed, shut the bonnet but lean down slightly on the side which is sitting up (DO GENTLY).

Keep doing this until it starts going back into place on it's own.

I had this problem and I was stumped, I thought my bonnet was twisted or something but with the method above it is now spot on, it is as flush as the day it was built!

It seems that if the arms are not greased then it sort of "doesn't close right", but sits up between 1/3 cm on one side (mine was the passenger side!).

Good luck!

Gary
                Last edited by hellmett; 6 March 2006, 19:49.

Comment

The hinges-body bolts and the pivot are under the vent grille, you can't get to them easily, the hinge-bonnet bolts are tapered and you can't alter them.

I see a lot of stiff hinges on older surfs bonnets, thats why I alway dump aload of spray grease through the slot to try and keep them lubed when ever doing a service.

Otherwise you need to remove the grille under the windscreen and service them properly.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Might be a dumb suggestion but you don't have a helpful son who may have happily screwed up the bonnet stop on one side while helping dad one day?
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie
                      Might be a dumb suggestion but you don't have a helpful son who may have happily screwed up the bonnet stop on one side while helping dad one day?
                      That is a very good suggestion. If only sitting up at one side then this may be the problem.

Nev

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the tips, I don't have a son (or daughter) that I know of and I've not fiddled with anything myself, so I think that rules that out.
                        Will have a go at the grease idea and let you know if it works.
                        Cheers, Matt
                        You aint seen me, right

Comment

Working...
                        X