wear in steering idler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wear in steering idler

Hi Guys, I have got a rattle and steering wheel shake when brakes are applied above40-50mph. I think I have traced it down to wear - movement in the steering idler shaft, if I grab a handfull and shake it, moves a bit and taps just like when I stand on the brakes. what is the procedure to recify this, is it rebushing? if so how do I go about it.
    Any info will be a great help.
    Martin

Originally posted by The Saddlemaker
    Hi Guys, I have got a rattle and steering wheel shake when brakes are applied above40-50mph. I think I have traced it down to wear - movement in the steering idler shaft, if I grab a handfull and shake it, moves a bit and taps just like when I stand on the brakes. what is the procedure to recify this, is it rebushing? if so how do I go about it.
    Martin

Roughtrax sell the bushes at about a fiver each plus vat and posting(2 needed). a new idler is 72 plus vat and posting .these are 2.4 prices
    I have just replaced my bushes but the wear is so bad i have had to order a new idler> If you can afford to have your truck off road for a couple of days ,i would surgest stripping it down to find ot the internal damage / wear first
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by The Saddlemaker
      Martin
      My bet would be a warped disk.
      Brian

Comment

my bet would be a warped disk and knackered steering idler

I just changed mine it was full of rust and the ball end was loose too, from looking around the forum most people have to change the whole thing on 2nd gens, must have a 10 year life span for these things

£90 ish for set of disks and toyota pads from Roughtrax plus p&p
        PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Comment

Thanks all

Originally posted by NeilT
          my bet would be a warped disk and knackered steering idler

I just changed mine it was full of rust and the ball end was loose too, from looking around the forum most people have to change the whole thing on 2nd gens, must have a 10 year life span for these things

£90 ish for set of disks and toyota pads from Roughtrax plus p&p

cheers all will strip it down and investigate discs as well..,,, looks as though its going to be a expencive time ,,just ordered 4 bfg's ouch!!!!

Comment

Mine failed MOT on idler and pitman arm- not the bushes but the ball joints. My discs also seem to be on their way out as i have a wobble braking from high speeds. Still not got round to doing the arms though (friendly mot man!!)

Comment

Try the Toyota main dealer for the bushes. I am sure mine were cheaper than a fiver each.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                Try the Toyota main dealer for the bushes. I am sure mine were cheaper than a fiver each.
                will give them a ring and see,,thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
                X