free wheeling hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free wheeling hubs

Hi, being new to the surf and 4x4 in general, I am a little uneducated with respect to free wheeling hubs. I have a 3rd gen ssrg and whenever i lift off the throttle the engine revs return to idle speed no matter what speed i am doing. Are these free wheeling hubs? With all the snow thats about I am a little concerned with slowing down as i would normally use the engine for braking but cannot in my surf. i do not want to break anything so have not yet locked the diff to drive until i know what i am doing. i can use the 4wd system with unlocked diff for acceleration, but the beast will only slow down using the brakes (very dangerously in the snow). Is there a way of locking the hubs if they are free wheeling and how do you do it? Do you have to lock the hubs before selecting 4H/L 4wd with diff lock?

Any comments appreciated even to take the micky out of my lack of knowledge!! , cheers, gary.

Are you driving an automatic? If so it's nothing to do with the hubs and everything to do with the gearbox. If you want to slow down using engine braking you can change down the box just as you would in a manual - you don't get as much but the effect will still be there
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

like roger said, its an auto, use O/D off and 2nd on the auto box to engine brake, use normal 4wd in the snow on the road but not with the diff locked unless you are stuck.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If you do have free wheel hubs then make sure you lock them before selecting 4WD.

Nev

Comment

really appreciate your advise guys, it is an automatic so you say that is normal for the revs to return to idle when you remove your foot off the juice pedal? I have driven in the snow today about 5-6 inches - great fun, used the 4WD button without difflock. Used the 2 and L with O/D off on the gear selector to apply some engine braking when approaching junctions. Never near gettin stuck even though loads of others were - boy am i glad i bought a surf!! havn't selected the diff lock yet - might try it off road some time.

How can I find out if i do have free wheeling hubs or not? just in case.

cheers, gary.

Comment

Not sure you can even get hubs for 3rd gens, never seen a set, and the hub/driveshaft is completly different to 2nd gens and other trucks. I doubt you have them. If you don't have a knob you can turn in the middle of the front wheels you don't have them.

Originally posted by garyandbeth

How can I find out if i do have free wheeling hubs or not? just in case.

cheers, gary.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It can be done on the 3rd gen but it's expensive. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/review...ub_conversion/

http://www.sonoransteel.com/ors.html
              Last edited by andy; 4 March 2006, 15:17.

Comment

nah don't think i got them - i'll have a play later on. cheers for your help guys. gary.

Comment

difflock? where? is this a 3rd gen thing

atb

chris

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin
                    difflock? where? is this a 3rd gen thing

atb

chris
                    Yes , 3rd gen centre difflock . You can fit your own rear diff lock to a 2nd gen .
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                    X