Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window Seals

Any thoughts....

The rubber seal at the bottom of the rear window of my 1991 SSRX keeps 'folding back on itself' on the passenger side when I put the window up and down. the part of the rubber seal that should be down inside the tailgate tucked up against the glass folds up and pulls the rest of the rubber with it as the window goes up

It's as if the rubber is not correctly seated in the channel.

I have removed the rubber and replaced it whilst servicing the rear window but it has made no difference. There is no rust inside the tailgate and the rubber seems to be maintaining a watertight seal... but it's still a pain in the arse!

The rubber appears to have been 'warped' and slightly misshapen over time, as it does not sit totally snug to the glass on the passenger side, probably overused!

I think it might need replacing... any thoughts? I am considering applying some clear silicone sealant to the rear of the rubber to keep it in place.

BTW should it be held in place with any clips or fixings? It did not appear to have any? Perhaps this is the problem? It is fitted with aftermarket 'silver' window tinting.. replete with a lovely and very Japanese 'Off Road' graphic and slogan. Perhaps they removed the rubber to apply the tinting film and never put it back correctly?

Any advice is appreciated

Barry

I had the very same problem with mine in the very same place!! .
    I used to pull the rubber back out but Whenever the window was sent back up it would take the rubber with it.
    I used a blunt instrument (knife handle) to fold it back out, smeared it liberally with french chalk and left the window up for several days.
    Now it stays where it should do.

I would chech though that the rubber is fitted correctly just to be sure then try the chalk.
    Ian
    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Working...
    X