bigger tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger tyres?

hi,if i'm in the wrong forum for this,appolagies.in response to my wobbling surf posting,i recieved a couple of pointers,one suggestion was knackered tyres.well,they will need replacing,if not now,sometime in the near future.i've been scanning the offroad mags to find replacements for my,i assume,standard 265/70R15's.ok,plenty of choice,but i'm thinking maybe something a bit larger would look better.i dont drive offroad as such,but living in norfolk even the roads qualify as offroad.somebody told me that you can get different tyres,as long as the overall circumference stays the same,i kinda understand where he is coming from,if the tyre is actually bigger,it has to travel further,which will give an incorrect speedo reading,(will it record more or less km travelled)? he also said it would damage the auto transmission in the long run.has he got a point,or are we bieng to english about mods,when you see some of the tyres wheels that people run.i forgot to mention,i dont really want to change the wheels.my weapon is a 94 3.0 td ssr-v.i havent got the hang of this site yet,and as such have neglected to thank the guys that responded to my last posting,so in anticipation of any advice,thanks in advance.

Right then
    Firstly look at the type of wheel rim you have. Mostly they are 15 x 7.
    Tyre choice is very dependant on your budget.
    Personaly I would buy BF Goodrich All-Terrain tyres - approx £100 each BUT the wear is superb 40K+ miles (depending on your type of use)
    If you want something more road biased thre are plenty of variations on the market
    I don't like General Tyres (have had a couple of sets on vehicles I have bought and have found them crap in the wet and this wasn't just on a 4x4)
    The thing to remeber is that it is 2ton of truck and it ain't going to stop on a dime with any tyre on.

Size wise 265x70x15 or 31x10.50x15 (american sizing) are right for your truck. I prefer the 31's as they fill out the wheel arch better.

You will find varying differences of opinion on here but most people head towards BFG A/T's

It shouldn't make much difference to your speedo

Good luck
    NO WORRIES!
    Rusty

Comment

Like Rusty said, 31x10.5 15's all the way, BFG A/T's for general use, and M/T's if you wanna play in the mud a lot.

You won't damage the tranny, you will alter the gearing a little, but its not enough to notice unless you take it to the 1/4 mlie a lot

The motor has plenty of guts to get over the slightly higher gearing, so if you can keep out of the throttle, slightly better MPG on a long run will be on the cards.

Allow for the speedo to be about 8-10% out (if that), reading slower than your actually doing, so watch the speed cameras 30 on the speedo is about 33ish, 70=76ish, etc its not a lot, and you should be covered. You can buy little corrector gearboxes that go on the speedo cable if it really bothers you.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
      X