Play in rear diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play in rear diff

how much "play" should there be in the rear diff? ie how much slack should there be when you turn the rear prop with both rear wheels on the ground?
    mine seems to have a fraction under 1/2" of movement when measured at the nose of the diff (pinion bearing cover)
    is this a bad thing? if so how bad? (bad enough to need a new one,possibly locking?)
    Diesel, like petrol only better

All the rear wheel drive vehicles I've owned have had a bit of slack like you describe, so I don't know wether that was a bad thing, but saying that I had no diff problems with them either.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      All the rear wheel drive vehicles I've owned have had a bit of slack like you describe, so I don't know wether that was a bad thing, but saying that I had no diff problems with them either.
      ditto that

only exception for me was a capri 1.6 i once owned
      that had lots of play in it (it exploded and all the internals exited the rear off the housing) but that car had done 150k miles and about 20 mad owners on the log book
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Was 'Bodie' one of the previous owners?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Was 'Bodie' one of the previous owners?
          hes the reason why i wanted one

Comment

not expecting diff to be tight, allways had some play in diffs just not sure if this was a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by openback
              not expecting diff to be tight, allways had some play in diffs just not sure if this was a bit much.
              sorry for digressing

mines the same, theres quite abit of play all the way through the transmission, but with 130kms on the clock i wouldnt expect it to be like new
              try sending tonyN a pm hes your best bet for anything mechanical.
              is yours cluncking or locking up or is it just something you happened to notice?

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
                sorry for digressing

mines the same, theres quite abit of play all the way through the transmission, but with 130kms on the clock i wouldnt expect it to be like new
                try sending tonyN a pm hes your best bet for anything mechanical.
                is yours cluncking or locking up or is it just something you happened to notice?
                bit of drive line clunk, noticed it when trying to trace whine from rear of truck, and had to replace rear prop uj which had run dry due to being dodgey new milners design that you cant grease! now got a roughtrax one fitted,removed and cleaned out rear drums, noise seems to have gone or at least got a lot quieter. just worried diff maybe on its last legs, all ready destroyed my front one! (stripped about 15 teeth of the ring gear)

Comment

Working...
                X