Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo face

Hey Boys an Girls!
    Probably a daft question but, is a mph speedo face a requirment to pass an MOT or does it not matter?.

Tich

Originally posted by tich
    Hey Boys an Girls!
    Probably a daft question but, is a mph speedo face a requirment to pass an MOT or does it not matter?.

Tich
    definately needed for SVA, not sure about MOT though! wouldn't have thought they'd check the readout, as long as it says MPH on there somewhere i'd imagine that would be ok?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Not needed for MOT

Think about it. They don't road test the vehicle, and for all they know you could have a geared reducer in there. I imported mine, and took for an MOT. All I did was fit a rear fog light and give it the once over.

Sailed straight through.

Rob G

Comment

Not needed for an MOT but its part of British standards for building vehicles etc (thats why its part of SVA). I enquired cos mine had a KMPH face with a brand new MOT. If you get stopped by police you'll be in big trouble if you have not got a MPH Speedo!! Mileometer dosen't matter.
        Get it changed ! It took me an afternoon and enabled me to replace lots of blown bulbs and give everything a good clean.

Andy

Comment

Hang on a mo

How do the police know whether its a mph speedo or not, and when was the last time that a policeman looked at anybody's speedo anyway?

If you were speeding and stopped, then they go by their radar reading, they sure aren't going to check my speedo to see if maybe they made a mistake.

I just have two Excel tables next to my clocks, one is kph>mph and the other is mph>kph. After a while you just remember the 30/40/50/70mph in kph. There are no other readings that matter in this country anyway?

The other problem is that the truck has big wheels, so that screws up the clock accuracy, so mph or kph, they are both going to be wrong.

I have a GPS on order for my PDA, and I am hoping that I can calibrate a few stickers using that, if it gives me a mph read out. It's either that or follow a friend at fixed speeds and do it that way.

I am not for one second suggesting that anyone shouldn't change their clock face, I am simply going to ensure that if/when I set mine up that it is somewhere near accurate?

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
            How do the police know whether its a mph speedo or not, and when was the last time that a policeman looked at anybody's speedo anyway?

If you were speeding and stopped, then they go by their radar reading, they sure aren't going to check my speedo to see if maybe they made a mistake.

I just have two Excel tables next to my clocks, one is kph>mph and the other is mph>kph. After a while you just remember the 30/40/50/70mph in kph. There are no other readings that matter in this country anyway?

The other problem is that the truck has big wheels, so that screws up the clock accuracy, so mph or kph, they are both going to be wrong.

I have a GPS on order for my PDA, and I am hoping that I can calibrate a few stickers using that, if it gives me a mph read out. It's either that or follow a friend at fixed speeds and do it that way.

I am not for one second suggesting that anyone shouldn't change their clock face, I am simply going to ensure that if/when I set mine up that it is somewhere near accurate?

Cheers

Rob G
            thats right, good post. I'd probably just get someone driving behind to get the speeds, and whack a little sticker on in at 30, 50, 70 and call it a day
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

There are two ways to get acurate speeds for the speedo one is to pay out and get the vehicle on a rolling road and the other not so hitech is to borrow a gps unit and measure the speeds over measured distance...

If you are coming up the pit on the 11th i could bring my GPS up there and we could run around a bit to get some markers on the dash...

Here are some guidlines for you

50k = 30m
              80k = 50m
              100k = 62m

if you keep those in mind you wont be far wrong
              Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Working...
              X