Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atp light on dash

hi all
    just got my surf 2wks ago,its a jap import on a j plate.and its automatic.
    i pulled up on the drive tonight in 2wd parked up everything was fine.so i decided to fit my new stereo,at this point it started to get dark so i started the surf up went to select reverse and nothing happened.i seem to be able to select 4wd which lights up on the dash but when i try to select 2wd i get atp come up on the dash when in park.but the surf will not move.any ideas people.
    regards
    tony

Originally posted by a16tbh1
    hi all
    just got my surf 2wks ago,its a jap import on a j plate.and its automatic.
    i pulled up on the drive tonight in 2wd parked up everything was fine.so i decided to fit my new stereo,at this point it started to get dark so i started the surf up went to select reverse and nothing happened.i seem to be able to select 4wd which lights up on the dash but when i try to select 2wd i get atp come up on the dash when in park.but the surf will not move.any ideas people.
    regards
    tony
    Your four wheel drive lever is in neutral just move it back to where it should be .
    Also update your profile so we can see what surf you have

Comment

The light you're on about is a warning, that the main gear lever is in neutral, AND the hi/low ratio lever is also in neutral.

It's a warning that there is no 'automatic' parking brake, i.e. it's only relying on the handbrake to hold the truck...

I guess you moved the levers when doing the stereo??

HTH.
      It just does, OK?

Comment

thanks for your quick responses,so how exactly do i get it back in to 2wd please.
        regards
        tony

Comment

Just move the right hand lever as far back as it will go! It should 'clunk' back into gear. I think the auto gear selector needs to be in Neutral.
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Or in park.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
              Just move the right hand lever as far back as it will go! It should 'clunk' back into gear. I think the auto gear selector needs to be in Neutral.

so i just pull the short stubby lever backwards without depressing the button ?
              sorry guys it wasn't explained to me when i swapped the vehicle.
              regards
              tony

Comment

that's right.

Then you'll be in two wheel drive (rear wheels)

When you get to a muddy/icy/slippery track, press the button on the side of the lever. This will engage 4WD Hi ratio.

If things get REALLY tough, or you need more oomph, then stop, go to neutral (or park.) move the lever forward to low ratio, back into drive and away you go...
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                  that's right.

Then you'll be in two wheel drive (rear wheels)

When you get to a muddy/icy/slippery track, press the button on the side of the lever. This will engage 4WD Hi ratio.

If things get REALLY tough, or you need more oomph, then stop, go to neutral (or park.) move the lever forward to low ratio, back into drive and away you go...
                  i'll give it a try tomorrow many thanks for your help dave.i just got one of those double din stereo's with the tv all built in and dvd player ect.is there a colour scheme of the wires on this forum anywhere that you know of.im a member of gtouk and we have one on there which is very helpfull.then when thats done iv'e got the tow bar to fit lol.all this just to tow a trailer for when my bike breaks down.
                  regards
                  tony

Comment

No problem, matey!! Glad I could help.

Not sure about the stereo tho. I just got an autoleads adaptor, to convert the Toyota wiring to standard radio wiring. I know nothing about in car DVD/TV etc...

Just enjoy your new Surf!!!
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

http://installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

If you're fitting one of those retractable monitors to your dash, make sure it dosen't hit the gear lever when it's in park!

Comment

hi again
                        big problems,it will not go in to 2wd and od light is flashing on the dash.is the 4wd button on the side of the short lever supposed to allow the box to go into 2wd,as there is plenty of clicking from the relay but thats about it.
                        thanks for the pdf file but i can't view it.
                        regards
                        tony
                        ps i did disconnect the batteries to reset the ecu but its made no difference

Comment

Have you moved the truck, sometimes they need shafts to be moving a little to get aligned.

O/D is just the little button on the auto shifter.

Transfer case (small one) Lever back, and 4wd button out is 2WD.

Originally posted by a16tbh1
                          hi again
                          big problems,it will not go in to 2wd and od light is flashing on the dash.is the 4wd button on the side of the short lever supposed to allow the box to go into 2wd,as there is plenty of clicking from the relay but thats about it.
                          thanks for the pdf file but i can't view it.
                          regards
                          tony
                          ps i did disconnect the batteries to reset the ecu but its made no difference
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The button on the short lever should be out (no green 4wd light on the dash)
                            Short lever pulled back towards the seat, put gear lever into 'D' and try to drive forwards, this dissengage the front wheels from the transfer box.

Heres a link for reading pdf files....
                            http://installdr.com/AcrobatReader.html

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              The button on the short lever should be out (no green 4wd light on the dash)
                              Short lever pulled back towards the seat, put gear lever into 'D' and try to drive forwards, this dissengage the front wheels from the transfer box.

Heres a link for reading pdf files....
                              http://installdr.com/AcrobatReader.html

when i press the button in or out the 4wd light is staying on ???????? the only time it goes out is when i put the short shift in neutral then the atp light comes on.i did read on here that if the o/d light starts to flash then you should get it to your nearest dealer lol.thanks for the link.
                              regards
                              tony

Comment

Working...
                              X