what steering part is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what steering part is this?

Just failed the MOT, one of the things was "nearside steering pivot point has excessive play" can someone tell me which bit they are talking about? car wasn't near enough for him to point. It'd save me thowing the manual out of the pram again

Many thanks
    PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Originally posted by NeilT
    Just failed the MOT, one of the things was "nearside steering pivot point has excessive play" can someone tell me which bit they are talking about? car wasn't near enough for him to point. It'd save me thowing the manual out of the pram again

Many thanks
    I would guess that they mean the idler arm
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

hehe, yeah what Jon said, the ider arm is worn on 90% of Surfs after 12 years of going back and forth!

Its a under £10 fix if its the bushes in the shaft, or £80 odd if its the ball joint as its not replacable and the whole idler need replacing.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

many thanks, i'll search the forum, seen plenty of mention of it here

Comment

that took only 2 minutes to get an answer! could be a record Jon

Comment

heres a piccy
            Attached Files
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

nice one, thanks for that. How difficult is it to tell the difference between play in the bottom bush and the ball joint?
              Last edited by NeilT; 6 February 2006, 23:19.

Comment

nice one, thanks for that. How difficult is it to tell the difference between play in the bottom bush and the ball joint?
                Hi,
                The length of the idler arm ie it depends where you ( the mot tester ) put your bar ( a kinda jemmy used to check the steering etc ) On some vehicles its more difficult to pinpoint but on this if they have stated BOTH parts have play which needs sorting - you must do BOTH.....IMHO o'course

peter

Comment

Jack the wheel up and move it from side to side, you'll see the slack in whatever part of the idler is worn.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Many thanks

Yup, steering idler, I had to replace mine for the same reason.
                    Cost £93 from main dealer.
                    Brake limiter valve had to be replaced as well.... also £93 ,........

Derek

Comment

Nothing is easy to the novice..... very zen

Found play and corrosion in both parts so it's a new idler needed. Getting the old one out bit tricky though. I went and bought a ball joint splitter same as this one - http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc....A/id.10168/.f but it was sh!te in a word. Might be ok for some of the other joints but couldn't get the forks in on this one. Has anyone found a better one for our use?

Cheers
                      Last edited by NeilT; 7 February 2006, 17:47.

Comment

Nothing is easy to the novice..... very zen

Found play and corrosion in both parts so it's a new idler needed. Getting the old one out bit tricky though. I went and bought a ball joint splitter same as this one - http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc....A/id.10168/.f but it was sh!te in a word. Might be ok for some of the other joints but couldn't get the forks in on this one. Has anyone found a better one for our use?

Cheers
                        i have always used a six foot scaffold bar to pop the ball joints on most cars and trucks just push it through the hole in the wishbone and jump up and down
                        I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa
                          i have always used a six foot scaffold bar to pop the ball joints on most cars and trucks just push it through the hole in the wishbone and jump up and down
                          That sounds like a better laugh than how i did it but what if you need to keep the rubber boot intact?

Comment

That sounds like a better laugh than how i did it but what if you need to keep the rubber boot intact?
                            couple of good clouts with a knocking stick did mine, but it is a heavy one cast iron but copper faced Whole job bout 20 Mins!
                            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                            Tony

Comment

Working...
                            X