track rod ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• track rod ends

hi there anyone ever changed the track rod ends any ideas how hard they are to do the inner and outer need replacing any help would be welcome
    thanks
    mick

I had to do mine for the MOT last month. The usual problem is that the joining tube is rusted solid to the T/R ends. Get new tubes from your Toyota dealer (about £10.00 each) but buy the track rod ends from Roughtrax,as Toyota want £40 for the outer and £58 for the inner. I only needed to get one side but Roughtrax incl VAT & delivery were about the same price as Toyota wanted just for the outer.

You'll need a ball joint splitter to dismantle each end, each side if replacing all four ends (2 inner, 2 outer). Use the old one each side, without taking the ends from the tube, to work out the overall length for the new inner, outer and tube, then put the replacements together using the old one as a template for length, that way your tracking wont be too far out but get them tracked anyway as it will be different from the old setting.

Make sure you use the new split pins and fit the rubber boots retaining rings (like large key rings) to the track rod ball joints before you fit them to the car as it's easier that way. Might also want to give the ball joints an extra bit of grease before you put the retaining rings on as only one end each side has a grease nipple (the outer I think from memory).

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tallyman; 6 February 2006, 00:11.
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by mick19691
      hi there anyone ever changed the track rod ends any ideas how hard they are to do the inner and outer need replacing any help would be welcome
      thanks
      mick
      I did all of mine last year Bit of a pig to seperate the ball joints I had to get the torch on the steering arm one to get it out.

Do one side at a time, measure the distance between the ball joints and then remove one end and screw the new one in to the measurement you took, then do the other end and put it all back in, do the other side the same way. And don't forget to go and get the tracking done.
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

track rods

Originally posted by jotto
        I did all of mine last year Bit of a pig to seperate the ball joints I had to get the torch on the steering arm one to get it out.

Do one side at a time, measure the distance between the ball joints and then remove one end and screw the new one in to the measurement you took, then do the other end and put it all back in, do the other side the same way. And don't forget to go and get the tracking done.
        thanks for the info chaps a great help
        cheers again
        mick

Comment

Working...
        X