Supra Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supra Engine Swap

Having Found Out That I've Cracked The Head In My Surf Along With Killing The Turbo I've Decided To Replace The Whole Lot With A 7mgte Motor From A Supra.

I'm Wondering In Order To Do This Conversion Do I Need To Do Add A Solid Front Axle Due To Clearance Issues With The Oil Pan.

Loads of info. on the left side of this page.....

http://www.supracharged.com/media.shtml

Comment

dug this out from ages ago

All the M series Supra engines fit quite easily with their own clutches, radiators and cooling sytems. The only slight problems are that the rear engine mounting bracket is a bit far back so you have to either weld over the mounting holes and redrill them or cut the bracket and weld in a 10mm spacer. The oil pan on the 5M and 6M Supras is at the front which is no good. There are other cars like the older Camry that have the right oil pan but they're rare here and you'll probably have to buy the MK111 Supra pan and oil pick up from Toyota (£160)

The M Series engines are all getting really old now and they have serious corrosion and cylinder head problems so you'd have to find a good one from an import. I like the 5M engine better than the later ones coz it looks like it was designed to be in a Surf engine bay and it has lots of ribbed alloy castings to polish:-) Although it's a 2 valve per cylinder engine its capable of much higher flow rates than the later 4 valve engines but tuning it costs HUGE amounts of money and the parts are very difficult to find too.

I wouldnt bother fitting either of the Toyota V6 engines coz they arent as powerful as a standard non turbo 5M

I like the idea of fitting a newish Lexus engine like the IFZ-FE (4500cc straight six similar to a 7MGTE) or a 1UZ-FE (4000cc V8) but all I know about them is that the V8 fits straight onto an R series gearbox. WHatever you get make sure you get the wiring and ECU as well coz otherwise you'll never get it to run on your own.

One small thing which might prove very annoying is that the R150 gearbox is designed for diesel engines and it has a really wide gap between 1ST and 2ND gears which sort of spoils the performance of petrol conversions. If you can find one the R151 gearbox from a V6 Surf or Prado would be much better.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Don't you know the 4Runner of 4runner4ever?

Roger is a dutch man who SAS'ed his 4Runner, put a shortened rear LC80 axle on it, elokers on both axles and also fitted a Supra engine on it.

I've some pics of his swap:

I knew him in Yotatech, maybe you can ask him there...

David
        '94 4Runner 3.0TD - SAS'ed on 35's

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard
          I've some pics of his swap:
          Looks like it grew there!!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Yeah but I'd love more the solid axle in my truck than that engine... Hehehe

David
            '94 4Runner 3.0TD - SAS'ed on 35's

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard
              Yeah but I'd love more the solid axle in my truck than that engine... Hehehe

David
              To true.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
              X