Driving without drive shaft........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving without drive shaft........

Don't laugh. We've all been there before. So, I needed to replace a split CV boot. Got one (note ONE) from Milners. Removed drive shaft and saw I needed the outer one too as it is on the perished side but not split. So now its Saturday night. Don't want to put the whole lot back together to have to take it off again to do the outer boot. Makes sense to do the whole lot together. Right?
    Firstly, I know I should have bought both boots at the same time.
    Secondly, the chances of getting another one on a Sunday round here is pretty much zero. So it will be on the phone to Milners on Monday. Get boot in post (God willing) Tuesday.
    Question. If I stick the wheel back on and put the end of the hub back on to stop dirt getting in the bearing (ok it will be open at the back), can I drive it about without the drive shaft?
    Can't see how anything will fall off. In 2wd can't see what it will do.
    Am I missing something?

Nah, it'll be fine for a little while.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony. As ever the guru.

Comment

Originally posted by rodthrutheblock
        Don't laugh. We've all been there before. So, I needed to replace a split CV boot. Got one (note ONE) from Milners. Removed drive shaft and saw I needed the outer one too as it is on the perished side but not split. So now its Saturday night. Don't want to put the whole lot back together to have to take it off again to do the outer boot. Makes sense to do the whole lot together. Right?
        Firstly, I know I should have bought both boots at the same time.
        Secondly, the chances of getting another one on a Sunday round here is pretty much zero. So it will be on the phone to Milners on Monday. Get boot in post (God willing) Tuesday.
        Question. If I stick the wheel back on and put the end of the hub back on to stop dirt getting in the bearing (ok it will be open at the back), can I drive it about without the drive shaft?
        Can't see how anything will fall off. In 2wd can't see what it will do.
        Am I missing something?
        Did mine at the same time,(drivers side), managed it without disconnecting the hub end!!!... Well , have you seen the instructions ??

Anyway, got the full kit from Toyota, £64 I think. " boots, clips, 2 lots of grease,mmmmmmm.....!!

Derek

Comment

Working...
        X