Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow Plug Prob

Following on various threads I think I have the symptoms which require
    new glow plugs or starter motor. There seems to be plenty juice in batteries.
    What should the battery read, on a meter when engine is off and what should it be with engine on?
    Surf starts eventually or I have had to jump start it from an LDV mini bus.
    When I jump start it I find if I use pasenger side battery it starts easier.
    The starter motor sounds a bit sluggish but it will start when the weather
    is warmer ( during the day). Is definitely glowplug prob? If this is the case
    which is the best place to get new plugs? Milners, Roughtrax? or local motor factors?
    I have read and searched all threads but can't really find any detailed instructions on how to do job. Can anyone point me in direction of pictures diagrams technique?.
    Thanks a lot!

Theres not much to it, just remove all the intake pipes that are in the way, then the busbar that joins them together and unscrew them.

I've had no problems with Roughtrax glowplugs.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Glowplug removal tools ?

Following along the glowplug saga , Went to garage last Saturday batteries checked okay. Tried charging them didn't need to.
      If I go to remove the glowplugs what sort of tools will I need?
      I seem to read somewhere that a 12mm socket was needed.
      Is that just the normal socket or do I need an extra long one / or do I need an extra long bar to turn socket?.
      Is the busbar the pipe thingy that joins the plugs up?.
      Is this a straight forward job or are there any hidden surpises?

As it was so mild this AM surf started no problem!
      But will change them this weekend

Comment

Yep, you'll need a deep 12mm socket, and the busbar is the metal 'strap' linking the glowplugs together.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/glowplugs.htm

Comment

Cheers Bushwacker erm how deep is deep?.
          Will I just be able to pick one up from halfrauds etc?
          Thanks for Aussie link have had a looked a lot on this site and some of the Yank ones.

Comment

It's about 2" long, halfords will have one. It's cheaper to buy them in a set though, from 5mm up to 12mm. or 6mm to 13mm. Always handy to have long reach sockets.

Comment

Working...
            X