Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Gen Towbar

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can source a towbar for my gen1 surf 1986 vintage?
    I've tried a couple of places - was told by one robbing bastid that I wont get one anywhere but he'd make a "one off" for me for £500. This from the same guy who told me that if it was a later model then they are all the same from 1990-1998 I tried to explain that they wernt but got told that he knows best.
    Looking at the back end I was wondering if its the same as a pick up towbar being as they are both on cart springs?
    Any help would be great as the Ifor dont go round corners on a tow rope

cheers
    Neil
    Smith & Wesson: the first point & click interface

A pickup one will fit to the chassis, but the rear bumper usually gets in the way.

If you can get to Stevenage, you can try out our 2nd gen one before we fit it, and see if simple mods will make it fit.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

when i sold our other 1st gen truck i took off the tow bar and fitted it to the wifes 2 gen truck no probs, however there is a bend in the front arms of the bar to clear the spring shackles on the old truck, this should be the only mod required to fit a newer bar to an older truck. the rear bumper lines up in exactly the same position on both trucks in relation to the chassis. even the holes line up.
      jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
      1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Hi,

Tony, Jim - thanx for the help - one of our local towbar places has had a 4runner one in stock for ages - he's only too happy for me to see if we can make it fit as he wants rid of it .

Cheers again
        Neil
        Smith & Wesson: the first point & click interface

Comment

Working...
        X