• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Heater

Anyone know if these are any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STANADYNE-DIES...QQcmdZViewItem

Seems cheap enough, but will it help??
    I just think I want one to help with the general running, and occasional SVO.

Anyone any ideas what sort of temp it'll go up to?

Dave
    It just does, OK?

only works below 10 degC
    i use it to help with veg oil
    it seems to heat up quickly
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Did you notice any real difference when you installed yours?

I know it's difficult to say, but....
      It just does, OK?

Comment

If you want something for general running and occasional SVO then a heat exchanger would be best for you - plumbed into the heater circuit - it uses waste heat from the engine to warm the fuel. They range in price from around £30 on ebay to £70ish elsewhere. It will heat up in around 2 mins to approx 70-80 deg C which is when SVO has the same viscosity as diesel.

Comment

I'm making up something like this for mine.....as it's electric so should heat up the fuel quicker.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
            If you want something for general running and occasional SVO then a heat exchanger would be best for you - plumbed into the heater circuit - it uses waste heat from the engine to warm the fuel. They range in price from around £30 on ebay to £70ish elsewhere. It will heat up in around 2 mins to approx 70-80 deg C which is when SVO has the same viscosity as diesel.

mine still wont idle properly on svo with the fuel heater unless I have another prob?
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

cant say I notice a difference
              as installed it before we got into winter
              I also have a heated fuel filter unit as well, standard fitment to my UK 4runner.
              and have overidden that with thermostat, so it is on until my fuelcat reaches 40 degC, then a thermo-switch turns it off.
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                I'm making up something like this for mine.....as it's electric so should heat up the fuel quicker.

A Peltier or a low ohm, high wattage resistor are two basic electrical 'heaters'.
                Coupled to a thermal cutout for temp control, a cheap way of heating.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                  A Peltier or a low ohm, high wattage resistor are two basic electrical 'heaters'.
                  Coupled to a thermal cutout for temp control, a cheap way of heating.

Matt
                  Just for the sake of making my last post a tad more comprehensible, , a peltier or
                  high wattage resistor strapped to a clump of aluminium or copper heatsink block with a
                  through feed for the fuel would be a stonking little heater assembly. And seeing as I have
                  a few robust alloy blocks and high wattage resistors knocking about, guess what I'll be
                  trying.

One question though. What is the minimum bore of the fuel system tubing which is
                  allowable without choking fuel supply? Does anybody have any recommendations, or
                  minimums specs that are known to work?

Matt

Comment

Try here http://vegoilconversions.netfirms.com/ for diy heat exchangers etc go to how to files

Comment

Working...
                    X