Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt change

Hi Folks
    I ve just changed the timing belt on my 2.4, it is a bit of a sod to do, as you have no access from underneath unless you want to remove the A/C cooler and pipework other than that it wasnt to bad. If I get time I ll do a write up on it and post it.
    The test will be in the morning to see if the timing needs advanced a little bit. I ll find out and let yous know.
    Cheers Charlie C.

my surf turned 100,000km's today, i waited for the 'check engine' light to come on for the timing belt? but to no avail, perhaps i've been clocked?
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
      my surf turned 100,000km's today, i waited for the 'check engine' light to come on for the timing belt? but to no avail, perhaps i've been clocked?
      That'll be the "T-BELT" light you are waiting for. Does it come on with all the other lights for a few seconds, when you turn the ignition on?

Comment

I didnt wait for the light mine was is at 98000 so I thought it was just safer to do it any way. Its just a lot of hassle if a belt breaks and all for the sake of a £15 timing belt.
        Charlie

Comment

got to do mine when i replace the head whats the easiest way to time it up as i got no manual , things like diesel pump etc ???
          [img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/auto/car-smiley-006.gif[/img] [b][color=red]Anyone for [u]fluffy[/u] wheeltrims[/color][/b]

Comment

Originally posted by valarius
            got to do mine when i replace the head whats the easiest way to time it up as i got no manual , things like diesel pump etc ???
            There is no way of making an error iof you take it slow. The diesel pump has a mark on the pully and on the block, so do the cam pully and the crank pully. The others don't matter, just line up all the marks, loosend off the tensioner and fit the belt from the bottom up (last pulley should be the one above the tensioner (The idler I think). The before you reset the tensioner turn over the engine a couple of times and back to the marks to make sure it still lines up.

Then release the tensioner bolt and let it find it's own tension and then torque up the bolt. Again turn over the engine a couple of times to make sure it still lines up.

You may have to do this a few times to get it right but it's just being lucky with positioning in the end - there theory is easy, the practice is 90% luck and 10% patience. It took 12 goes on mine to get it right.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X