Changing tortion bar bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing tortion bar bolts

I'm planning on changing the tortion bar adjuster bolts on the truck, the front end is way too low and the old bolts are shot.
    My question is this.........
    I know I have to jack up the front end and get the wheels off the ground, but when I undo the bolts and take them out am I in for any nasty suprises ? or will the new ones slip straight in?
    Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but , I'm a bit mechanicaly challenged and kind of resent paying a garage to do it when I could be doing it myself.

Thanks.
    Andy.

spray WD40 on them for a few days before you undo them.

it was difficult to get them undone on my UK 4runner, which has had a dose of salted roads every winter for 10 years!
    The bolt was seized onto the 1/2 moon shaped spacer...

took a long breaker bar and lot of effort and time to undo them,
    and 22mm spanner on top bolt, with strap attached to chassis and spanner to stop spanner moving whilst I hauled on the breaker bar!
    so much easier with the new bolts on to adjust! - they fitted easily.

but others seem to have no problems with adjusting or removing the bolts.

yes- wheels off ground important!
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by bobafatass
      I'm planning on changing the tortion bar adjuster bolts on the truck, the front end is way too low and the old bolts are shot.
      My question is this.........
      I know I have to jack up the front end and get the wheels off the ground, but when I undo the bolts and take them out am I in for any nasty suprises ? or will the new ones slip straight in?
      Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but , I'm a bit mechanicaly challenged and kind of resent paying a garage to do it when I could be doing it myself.

Thanks.
      Andy.
      Hi,
      This "tortion"bar is this same as "anti roll" or "stabiliser" bar or not ? If it is you may be interested to know there is a fairly straightforward trick involving fitting new bolts of correct specification of course, which are drilled and fitted with special springs and links for quick release... Why ? well if you go off roading some people, myself included, appreciate all the axle movement possible on our trucks, and more is achieved with the anti roll bars temporarily disconnected. Anyways, sorry to bother you if your tortion bar is summat else !

Comment

Cheers guys, I'm spraying the WD40 on every day, just getting ready for the big pull on Saturday. Grazed knuckels ahoy !!

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by Uplander
          Hi,
          This "tortion"bar is this same as "anti roll" or "stabiliser" bar or not ?
          NOT It's the front suspension.No springs.

Originally posted by Uplander
          If it is you may be interested to know there is a fairly straightforward trick involving fitting new bolts of correct specification of course, which are drilled and fitted with special springs and links for quick release... Why ? well if you go off roading some people, myself included, appreciate all the axle movement possible on our trucks, and more is achieved with the anti roll bars temporarily disconnected. Anyways, sorry to bother you if your tortion bar is summat else !
          Sway Bar Disconnects.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev

Sway Bar Disconnects.

Neville
            Been thinking about these for some time & am looking into getting some made up at work for the 3RD Gen.

Question - Has anyone run with the sway bars disconnected, if so whats the handling like on road????
            Going to give it a try next week to see how it handles, suspension is already way off standard with the 2 1/2" coil spacers so before I see about making some disconnects, if it handles anything like ok without the sway bars I am just going to get rid of them totally.

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401
              Been thinking about these for some time & am looking into getting some made up at work for the 3RD Gen.

Question - Has anyone run with the sway bars disconnected, if so whats the handling like on road????
              Going to give it a try next week to see how it handles, suspension is already way off standard with the 2 1/2" coil spacers so before I see about making some disconnects, if it handles anything like ok without the sway bars I am just going to get rid of them totally.
              One or two have chucked the rear anti-roll bar and say it doesn't make much difference if you have the stiffer springs on. I must say mine was OK when the bush retainers went and mine was just there to make an annoying knock, knock noise on hard accelleration.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kazam401

yea tossed both mine out about a year ago. i've got a 2" lift too but it's not bad at all!
                It does roll more thats for certain but if you just compensate for that then i dont think it's a problem. just have to remember not to go hammering into corners too fast. after a while you just get used to it and drive accordingly.
                bit like driving an early Disco
                Makes a bit of diffenence off road too but to get the full use you need to cut down the bump stops (mine down to about 20-25mm) top and bottom.
                This probably makes it roll even more but hey ...............
                mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
                X