rover v8 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rover v8 conversion

can anyone help. I want to take the 2.4 td out and replace it with a rover v8 but i need to find an adapter plate to fit the v8 to my standard 2.4 d auto box has anyone done this before or know of a company that can supply me with all the right equipment any help would be appreciated thanks.

Originally posted by garyj
    can anyone help. I want to take the 2.4 td out and replace it with a rover v8 but i need to find an adapter plate to fit the v8 to my standard 2.4 d auto box has anyone done this before or know of a company that can supply me with all the right equipment any help would be appreciated thanks.
    Good luck!! Tony's doing this exact same thing to our 2 door at the mo.
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Might be worth trying www.engineconversions.co.uk Don't know if they have what you're after but it could be a good starting point.
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

The trouble is getting a bellhousing adapter for the auto, you have to run a manual box to get a off the shelf adapter. Unless you can make one.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

give barry a call at roughtrax and have a chat with him he used to build loads of stuff like that
          I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Gawd! Why would you want to use a Rover motor... when it is a lot easier to shove a Lexus quad-cam V8 in there... (which is what I'm doing)

Anyway, try the Castlemaine Rod Shop for every adapter in the known world (or so it seems) http://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousings.htm

There is a local Surf with this conversion that will spin the wheels in second gear, so I guess the motor is grunty enough.

Of course there will be a bit of postage, but they might have what you want. You might want to consider uprating the gearbox at the same time, Hilux gearboxes aren't the strongest... a Toyota Dyna light truck gearbox is apparently an easy swap.

Good luck!

Simon
            Last edited by kiwijetpilot; 30 September 2005, 05:23.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwijetpilot
              Gawd! Why would you want to use a Rover motor... when it is a lot easier to shove a Lexus quad-cam V8 in there... (which is what I'm doing)

Anyway, try the Castlemaine Rod Shop for every adapter in the known world (or so it seems) http://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousings.htm

There is a local Surf with this conversion that will spin the wheels in second gear, so I guess the motor is grunty enough.

Of course there will be a bit of postage, but they might have what you want. You might want to consider uprating the gearbox at the same time, Hilux gearboxes aren't the strongest... a Toyota Dyna light truck gearbox is apparently an easy swap.

Good luck!

Simon
              Ever tried to find quad cam in the UK? I know its a bitchin' swap, but you can buy a running Rover V8 for £150 here, the cheapest lexus motor I've seen has been £1500 for just the block.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Maybe I should send a few over, in NZ you can get a good quad cam for about GBP750 or less (in fact I have seen half cuts for that). Check these out:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-36672831.htm
                http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-36909210.htm

What would it cost to import one to the UK?

For adaptor plates:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-36905110.htm

I have owned a few Rover V8s over the years (last one was in a Triumph Stag), and I doubt you would get much of a motor for GBP150. It will be full of sludge, probably with a knackered cam, and so on.

Anyway, you use what you can get! I still have a complete EFi setup from my last Rover motor, but over here nobody wants them!

Originally posted by TonyN
                Ever tried to find quad cam in the UK? I know its a bitchin' swap, but you can buy a running Rover V8 for £150 here, the cheapest lexus motor I've seen has been £1500 for just the block.

Comment

You could get yourself a Small block Chevy (my personal favourite Petrol motor) and get all the power, torque, reliability and cheap parts that you could ever want. You can also get adaptors for the standard Auto or manual box as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                    You could get yourself a Small block Chevy (my personal favourite Petrol motor) and get all the power, torque, reliability and cheap parts that you could ever want. You can also get adaptors for the standard Auto or manual box as well.
                    Here Lucky, this one will definately fit! May be a teeny bit underpowered tho!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REVELL-1-6TH-3...QQcmdZViewItem
                    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Are rover v8's can't beat um,easy to work on,you can get parts easily,and depending how deep your pockets are can still match the yanks(no disrepsect to the yank motors there still cool)i run a mild tuned rover in my mk2 cortina,very quick and reliable and if any one does convert there surf to rover can u take notes and pics cos i would swap my oil burner motor in an instant for one of them.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TOYMOTA
                        Are rover v8's can't beat um,easy to work on,you can get parts easily,and depending how deep your pockets are can still match the yanks(no disrepsect to the yank motors there still cool)i run a mild tuned rover in my mk2 cortina,very quick and reliable and if any one does convert there surf to rover can u take notes and pics cos i would swap my oil burner motor in an instant for one of them.
                        thanks for the backing of the rover v8 but the only reason i am choosing it is i have a mk3 capri which i have succesfully converted to 3.5 v8 and i have a spare just sitting in the shed at the moment sorry forgot to mention its running 300 bhp x strip car local to us both. north beds area

Comment

a v8 shed.. now thats what i'm talkin about...
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                            Here Lucky, this one will definately fit! May be a teeny bit underpowered tho!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REVELL-1-6TH-3...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the real thing!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chevrolet-350c...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by TOYMOTA
                              Are rover v8's can't beat um,easy to work on,you can get parts easily,and depending how deep your pockets are can still match the yanks(no disrepsect to the yank motors there still cool)
                              No disrespect to Rover, but the Rover V8 was originally a Yank engine that Rover bought and slightly modified over the years.
                              Paul </Slugsie>
                              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X