Rust Alert....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Alert....

Hi guys, just thought I'd pop this up for people to read.

When I was at Tony and Linda's the other day getting my Surf thoroughly serviced, Tony commented about how quickly the bumpers can rust.

So I decides to take off the rear bumber and sure enough on the inside lots of rust! So I've set too with the drill with wire brush attachment etc, and have thoroughly cleaned it all and then applied rust killer. Am going to paint it in the morning with hammerite and then I'll waxoyl as well just for good measure.

Just wanted to mention this for those who were not aware (not so easy to see inside the bumpers). I recon that by this time next year my bumpers would have been a complete mess - hopefully I'll have got to it in time to literally stop the rot.
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Yeah they rot from the inside out so you dont know till its too late. I reckon Toyota had lots of bad steel left over from the early '80s and since they werent putting into the panels any more they put it into the bumpers.

Comment

Speaking of rust, tonight I came across some pics of the rustiest 2nd gen I've ever seen...
      http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=62945

...rust in every single shot!

Thinking about it, it's worse than my '84 Surf.

Comment

I unscrewed the trim from the nsr arch ready to spray the 1/4 panel and found the outer arch is rotten . I would think the same on osr aswell . I will just repaint the panel and put trim back on . It hides the rot at the moment
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Sounds familiar, cept i don't have the trim to hide it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
            Hi guys, just thought I'd pop this up for people to read.

When I was at Tony and Linda's the other day getting my Surf thoroughly serviced, Tony commented about how quickly the bumpers can rust.

So I decides to take off the rear bumber and sure enough on the inside lots of rust! So I've set too with the drill with wire brush attachment etc, and have thoroughly cleaned it all and then applied rust killer. Am going to paint it in the morning with hammerite and then I'll waxoyl as well just for good measure.

Just wanted to mention this for those who were not aware (not so easy to see inside the bumpers). I recon that by this time next year my bumpers would have been a complete mess - hopefully I'll have got to it in time to literally stop the rot.
            One the first jobs you should do on a new import is a thorough Waxoyling. If you let a garage do it they certainly won't drop the bumpers off, clean & treat existing rust (was already starting on my 1994 import in 2002) paint over and Waxoyle as well.

It's one of those jobs that is worth doing properly- so you may as well do it yourself.

Comment

Working...
            X