yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing Belt changed, 1500RPM is now maximum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt changed, 1500RPM is now maximum!

Hi Everyone,

Great site by the way, we've got a Hi-Lux 2.4 TD and have just had the cambelt changed. Problem now is that it starts up fine but won't go over 1500 RPM. It's an auto SSR-X, is there anything that the guy may or may not have done that might cause this?

TIA

Tim

just a guess but the timing is out
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

Cheers mate, will suggest that I did mention that aswell. Not quite sure why he's had the timing belt done TBH. It was my ex-mrs's car and while she had it I had the timing belt and a major service done at Toyota main dealer as soon as she got it.

But the T-Belt light came on recently and because it was losing coolant and oil he decided to have the belt done again. But not at Toyota so that could be the problem.

Comment

Hi Tim, It's nice to have a new timing belt for piece of mind, but was the loss of coolant and the oil leak fixed aswell?
        Also, when you say that 1500 is the maximum revs, do you mean you press the go pedal and it won't rev,or that nothing happens at all?

Comment

Originally posted by TimS
          But the T-Belt light came on recently and because it was losing coolant and oil he decided to have the belt done again. But not at Toyota so that could be the problem.
          The timing belt light should (if nothing has been tampered with) come on every time the odometer clocks up 100000 (meant to be Kilometers, so 60000miles if yours has been converted). It's there just as a reminder, nothing more.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Great site by the way, we've got a Hi-Lux 2.4 TD and have just had the cambelt changed. Problem now is that it starts up fine but won't go over 1500 RPM. It's an auto SSR-X, is there anything that the guy may or may not have done that might cause this?

TIA

Tim
            Does the turbo light come on?
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Not sure about the turbo light but I spoke to the guy last night, car will change up no problem but in each gear will not exceed 15K RPM.

Yeah the oil and coolant has been sorted out which is why he decided to have the belt changed while they were at it.

Really is a strange one this, car starts perfectly on the first turn of the key so what on earth is going on?

Is there a "Get me home!" mode on these like most Jap turbo cars have?

I've got a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and if it thinks that something is not right with the engine the ECU will switch to safety mode which basically means the car will not exceed say 2K RPM. Obviously the purpose of this is so that you can get to a garage/home without further damage to the engine.

Comment

i no it sounds daft but have you checked the throttle body to make sure it opens fully with the pedal pushed down.could be something jamming on the linkage
                I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Not sure about the turbo light but I spoke to the guy last night, car will change up no problem but in each gear will not exceed 15K RPM.
                  that's good!... mine won't go much over 4000 rpm!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Sorry I meant 1500rpm! DOH!

It's going into Toyota main dealer next week.

They have said that it could be injection pump if the timing belt has jumped a couple of teeth, rag in the intercooler duct or a small rubber gaskett at the top of the engine which can perish and get sucked in.

Not much detail there I know but as soon as we find out you guys will be the first (or second) to know.

Watch this space.

Comment

I'd be getting annoyed with the fool who changed the belt in the 1st place. He knew right well the light means diddly when the belt has already been done and now look at the mess he didnt need to get you into.

I'm organisin a posse as I fasttype........

Did he do the fool filter at all? Did he leave his spiderman flask under the pedal?

Comment

Fixed!!!

Hi Guys,

I know it's been a while but I thought it best to finally post the cause of this problem and the fix.

As you know the truck had some work done to fix coolant/oil leaks which meant the rad coming out, so my GF's Dad decided to have the timing belt changed also.

Then the car wouldn't go above 1500rpm in any gear (Auto) so the upshot was that Toyota Main Dealer had to be brought into the equation as the independant garage guy was totally stumped!

Well it turned out to be the Oil Pump sensor which had gone south, apparently in order to find where the leaks were coming from he steam cleaned the engine bay underneath...which correct me if I'm wrong...is a mega NO NO with any modern car these days!!!

Well the sensor was only £27 GBP and all is now sweet with the Surf.

Happy days!

Thanks for all your kind suggestions and interest in the problem and possibilities of what might have been the problem. At least it's now documented here incase anyone else comes across some similar symptoms.

Comment

Oil Pump Sensor ???????? If you mean Oil Pressure Sensor then this, in no way, could cause the problems you had. It's just a pressure sensor. Are you sure it wasn't something else? Does not make sense to me.

Nev

Comment

Cant see how steam cleaning the most exposed part of your engine could be dangerous myself but am willing to find out why.

Comment

Well it turned out to be the Oil Pump sensor which had gone south, apparently in order to find where the leaks were coming from he steam cleaned the engine bay underneath...which correct me if I'm wrong...is a mega NO NO with any modern car these days!!!
                              I wouldn't say it was a no-no, obviously I wouldn't fire the steam cleaner nozzle directly into a electrical connection, but it won't do any harm generally cleaning the motor with it.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X