Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on progress!!!

Hi Crew,

Just joined from the hiluxsurf.co.uk forum...

One month on from purchasing my Surf and there has been progress... Below is a quick update...

Got the RIG serviced at CCB Importers... They were satisfactory but I expected a little more in terms of reporting the state of various components... Am taking the position no news is good news...

The 4wd light coming on then going off issues is still to be resolved... Have not tested on the gravel but that is the next step... Can hear the relay clicking for the dash light and some clunking in the front so am hopeful it is just electrical...

The car was running a little rough on start up, so have loaded it with a couple of doses of Redex, checked the glow plugs, and am now looking for the device/switch that revs the engine while cold... There is no switch to the right of the steering wheel but a contact has suggested there should be one on the engine that is operated by water, i.e. it revs high till the thermostat opens then goes back down... Any ideas here would be great...

Lastly, and looking for a replacement sunvisor on the drivers side... Any suggstions???

Happy surfing...

Paully

and am now looking for the device/switch that revs the engine while cold... not sure about 91 model but later surfs dont have them, if you have one its on the injection pump, they work on a wire to a thermoststically controled valve, when the engine is cold the wire pulls the lever on the pump giving more diesel and slightly raised rpm which can be adjusted
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

on an EFI motor the computer controls the idle RPM, which should be about the same hot or cold/ with or without a/c on. sounds like more of a glow plug or leaking injector problem. have you had a compression/leakdown test done?
      jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
      1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Done the glow plugs and injectors!!!

Hi Jim,

Sparked the glow plugs, no problemo there... Have been chatting with a local diesel mech, and he has been running me through what to check one after the other i.e. check the glowplugs, check the idle up switch, and after that, if I want him to replace the injectors he will...

He seems to think the injectors and glow plugs aren't the issue since the RIG runs smoothly after a minute of starting up...

Have another issue at the moment which is a small oil link somewhere near the top of the engine...

Thanks for the reply...

Comment

Originally posted by Paully
          Hi Jim,

Sparked the glow plugs, no problemo there... Have been chatting with a local diesel mech, and he has been running me through what to check one after the other i.e. check the glowplugs, check the idle up switch, and after that, if I want him to replace the injectors he will...

He seems to think the injectors and glow plugs aren't the issue since the RIG runs smoothly after a minute of starting up...

Have another issue at the moment which is a small oil link somewhere near the top of the engine...

Thanks for the reply...
          so when you start it from cold does it run fast or slow and is it lumpy, does it do it when warm, oil leak will probably be the cam cover
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

i have trouble with my cold start device but i cant find any info on it anywhere. Mine does nay work at all!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
              I'll have a look tomorrow Gemini! I think there is. Could the sensor be broken or something?
              the inner cable could be broke, or the thermo sensor could be knackered, or it might need setting up, when the engine is hot loosen the nut holding inner cable on pump end, take the slack up re-tighten, as it cools it pulls the cable thus pulling arm on pump that its connected to, if it is broke you have to replace the lot its a cylinder with a cable coming out of it, usually bolts on somewhere near the thermostat, if you get stuck post me a pic tomorrow
              [size=5][/size]

Comment

Working...
              X