Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Diff Flange Free Play

Hi,
    I have just removed both of the front drive shafts in order to replace all CV boots and bronze bushes.

Whilst doing this I noted that the driver's side flange, on the shaft which enters the front diff, has a fair bit of up-down/side-side movement/play. Despite this slackness there are no signs of oil leakage around the shaft/seal. The passengers side has no discernable movement.

Having surveyed this site in some depth it appears that many members have noticed the same thing and sought advice. The tendency has been to assume that something is worn, such as an oil seal or bearing but I am not so sure. If this play is often found then it is either a common problem which requires repair OR it is normal and if all vehicles were checked they would all display the same characteristics.

Does anybody have a view on this subject and is there anyone who knows the definitive answer (i.e. an experienced Toyota mechanic/enthusiast)?

As this is a common concern an informed opinion could help a number of members both now and into the future.

Many thanks to all who contribute to this thread
    Brian
    Brian
Working...
X