Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD problem

Hi everybody.
    I have a problem with my 4WD. I have 1992 surf with manual transmission. I bought it 20 days ago. Yesterday i want to check my 4WD and when i am on 4H and turn my steer to left until steer cannot turn any more, i saw that there is a problem. When i was trying to go forward there was a sound coming from rear left wheel and rear left wheel hardly turns. when i was trying to go forward while steer is on the left again, at this time front right wheel hardly turns. While i was driving straight, car is trying to go little right but not much. When i am on 2H everything is good. There is no problem. I couldnt understand whats going on. could you please help me about this problem.
    4wd Problem
    75.00%
    steering
    25.00%

Welcome to the forum .

Your not trying to drive in 4wd on a hard surface are you , because this will cause transmission wind up , try it on mud or on a loose surface and which will let the the wheels slip .

The problem is that you dont have a centre diff , so the 4 wheels are trying to go at the same speed .

Comment

Hi again
      thank you andy.
      i am new in this cars. I dont know how to use and what to do. So what should i need to do to solve my problem. I only test 4WD on the road. I didnt try it on mud or on a loose surface. i will try it this weekend. I want to know if the things that i have explained is a big problem or what? What i need to do?

Comment

You dont seem to have a problem , because you say that it goes into 4wd when you press the switch , the system is not built to drive in 4wd on a hard surface , and because your surf does not have a centre diff the front and back wheels are going at the same speed .

Read post 10 on this thread , it will explain the problem better than I can .

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/sho...ht=centre+diff

Comment

Thanx in advance for the help andy. It is clear for me now.

Comment

Originally posted by egorkan
            Hi again
            thank you andy.
            i am new in this cars. I dont know how to use and what to do. So what should i need to do to solve my problem. I only test 4WD on the road. I didnt try it on mud or on a loose surface. i will try it this weekend. I want to know if the things that i have explained is a big problem or what? What i need to do?
            You can use your 4WD on a hard suface- PROVIDED YOU ONLY DRIVE IN A STRAIGHT LINE!

If you don't do any off road driving you will need to do this at least once per month to prevent the various 4WD mechanisms from seizing.

Otherwis only use the 4WD when the wheels can slip independantly or you will b*gger your transmision.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
              You can use your 4WD on a hard suface- PROVIDED YOU ONLY DRIVE IN A STRAIGHT LINE!

If you don't do any off road driving you will need to do this at least once per month to prevent the various 4WD mechanisms from seizing.

Otherwis only use the 4WD when the wheels can slip independantly or you will b*gger your transmision.

Nevillef
              Hi Neville,
              Is this really necessary. Park up a surf in Japan for a few months then stick it on a ship for another month and then leave it parked up in a dealers in the UK for another few weeks and you should have all the seizure you need.
              Compare that to a few miles in 2WD on the road between your house and the shop and there should be lots of 80/90 sloshin around the t-case with every bump in the road.
              My $.02

Comment

Shouldnt that be 'My €.02'
                Derek :
                1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                  Shouldnt that be 'My €.02'
                  go glue your engine back together

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                    go glue your engine back together
                    Bwahahaha!!!!

Its best to try it regually, exercises the soloniods and things, and you'll know if it works or not before really needing it!
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X