Grease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease!

OK, question please... I've found lots of useful info in this Forum, over and over again, but I still haven't figured out the world of grease and grease guns! Can anyone please help with the following:

I know the various grades of grease for lubricating different parts of the Drive Train, Bearings, etc. BUT - do I have to use a grease gun to do it? And if so, then the grease I bought in tubs may be of little use? And lastly, where is a good place to get hold of Cartridges with the different grades of grease?

And I daren't ask too many questions about all these nipples people have been referring to... I guess I will learn through experience!

MikeyJ

You can refill most grease guns by hand with your fingers, although it does get rather mucky. If you can get a tub that has a plate in the top with a hole in it, those are good because you just put the open end of the grease gun over the hole and push down. Unfortunately I haven't seen one of those for a few years. Cartridges, if you can get them, will be expensive by comparison.
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
      Cartridges, if you can get them, will be expensive by comparison.
      True, but a damn sight less messy. Gotta be worth the extra money...

Think I paid about £7 for my cartridge of molybdenum disulphide (?) Not too expensive, and I think it'll last quite a while..
      It just does, OK?

Comment

Cartridge or bulk is really a personal choice.Bulk is cheaper but cartridges are a hell of a lot less messy.Grease guns vary in quality a great deal.Buy a good one to start with.The cheapies are mostly ****.I have a couple of McNaught grease guns which can be used one handed.These can use either bulk or cartridge grease.

One thing to remember though is that these come setup for cartridges and require the seals to be reversed for bulk grease.I forgot the first time I used it and filled with bulk grease.The result was grease everywhere but where it was supposed to go when I pressed the lever.

Neville

Comment

I have bought two tubs of grease in the last three months with the discs in the top for filling. Got them from TMC (The Motorist Centre).

If you watched Blue Peter you could make your own from the wifes best polythylene cutting board.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks guys, that makes a bit more sense. I have to say, I've got two tubs with the cover with a hole in it - if I hadn't just read your replies, I would've taken those out wondering what in the world they had a hole in for! I'll give the bulk loading a go first.

Thanks for the tip re. gun - I found one on Screwfix.com for £9 - is that a cheapy rate or a decent price?

And can I make a grease gun out of egg boxes?!

Comment

Working...
            X