X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fabrication advice needed quick

Hi , bought a tow-bar from towequipe, arrived today. I set about fixing it
    to surf this evening, surprising easily to move bolts holding exhaust on,
    ready to go!. Uuh oh bits missing., apart from some nuts , some washers which I can easily source. The two main bits missing are
    .............................. ..2 'captive clamp plates',...................... ..
    I phoned the helpline who were pretty cool about the prob. They said
    that they will check to-morrow and send out parts. Only problem is they can't guarantee that the parts will arrive the next day.It might be Monday
    I wanted to fit tow bar tonight and do electrics on Thursday cos I am
    driving to Scotland thru Friday night. If parts don't arrive Friday I am b*ggered. I asked the Helpline how important these captive plates were they said quite important, he didn't explain why but I assumed so cos they were meant to be in there and weren't!. In the pack there was supposed to be
    a breakaway cable bracket there are 2!, but if I don't do something about
    brackets I ain't breaking away at all. To the wise out there,
    does anyone know the complete dimensions of said brackets cos if I know sizes I could make some up tomorrow, they look pretty simple
    please help with sizes inc thickness of metal
    The tow bar from towequipe is for the 4runner/surf and is numbered TT991
    Any help appreciated!
    P.S. does anyone know where I can hire /buy a trailer in the south of engalnd?? Everything on ebay is in the midlands or north.
    Last edited by marticogo; 20 July 2005, 22:48. Reason: misspellings ,moving to another forum

Originally posted by marticogo
    Hi , bought a tow-bar from towequipe, arrived today. I set about fixing it
    to surf this evening, surprising easily to move bolts holding exhaust on,
    ready to go!. Uuh oh bits missing., apart from some nuts , some washers which I can easily source. The two main bits missing are
    .............................. ..2 'captive clamp plates',...................... ..
    I phoned the helpline who were pretty cool about the prob. They said
    that they will check to-morrow and send out parts. Only problem is they can't guarantee that the parts will arrive the next day.It might be Monday
    I wanted to fit tow bar tonight and do electrics on Thursday cos I am
    driving to Scotland thru Friday night. If parts don't arrive Friday I am b*ggered. I asked the Helpline how important these captive plates were they said quite important, he didn't explain why but I assumed so cos they were meant to be in there and weren't!. In the pack there was supposed to be
    a breakaway cable bracket there are 2!, but if I don't do something about
    brackets I ain't breaking away at all. To the wise out there,
    does anyone know the complete dimensions of said brackets cos if I know sizes I could make some up tomorrow, they look pretty simple
    please help with sizes inc thickness of metal
    The tow bar from towequipe is for the 4runner/surf and is numbered TT991
    Any help appreciated!
    P.S. does anyone know where I can hire /buy a trailer in the south of engalnd?? Everything on ebay is in the midlands or north.
    If you give me a ring tomorow about 12(if this is any help) I can tell you as I have a tow bar sitting in my workshop waiting to be fitted to my wifes surf
    07740 337153 Oh and what sort of size trailer you after???
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

the captive plate just makes life easier cos you can hold it with one hand by a tab that hangs out the end of the chassis box section while starting the thread with tother... if you have a long ring spanner, a couple of normal nyloc nuts you can do without, but it'll be a right fiddle...
      and dirty dog will find you a trailer.. probably mine if we are lucky!
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
        the captive plate just makes life easier cos you can hold it with one hand by a tab that hangs out the end of the chassis box section while starting the thread with tother... if you have a long ring spanner, a couple of normal nyloc nuts you can do without, but it'll be a right fiddle...
        Cheers mate
        Ive also got some for hire... might have a something else other than what my website says, call me 07968 59 29 39 and we'll see what we can do.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
          'Hold it by the tab 'seems familiar.
          there are two bits of metal goldy in colour which have a tab on them,
          I thought that they were the breakaway piece!
          I will post a photo later as camera batt flat just now !
          Trailer size I am looking for 5x3, 6x4 for putting gear in to go 400 miles there
          and back as now have three dogs adn running out of space.
          Wot sort of rates do you do for hire?.
          my email is martin@mcolliergow.wanadoo.co. uk
          WIll phone later.

Comment

Working...
          X