I Just Couldn't Resist, and Now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Just Couldn't Resist, and Now...

...I'm gonna have to shorten my wheel bolts!

Wanted some wheel spacers to improve stance etc. Did the usual searches on the forum and located the 'recommended' suppliers. Dropped them a mail and received a swift reply indicating that the world's supply of machined steel wheel spacers had been exhausted - would have to wait at least three weeks!

Well, I just didn't want to wait did I. Goes on to eBay, and against my better judgement forked out for a set of alloy spacers. They duly arrived a couple of days later. I takes back wheels off first. I offers up the spacer to the hub - good fit - no problems. Get extension bolts and screws one on Too flippin short! Reads instructions and sure enough it says on some installations you will need to shorten the existing wheel bolts. Not a happy man! Should have paid attention to the posts on the forum advising that it's best to mail and check if any mods are needed!!

The question is: Can anyone suggest the best way of shortening all 24 wheel bolts? I really don't fancy setting too and hack sawing them all down by 3mm!!!

Rob
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Originally posted by nednil
    ...I'm gonna have to shorten my wheel bolts!

Wanted some wheel spacers to improve stance etc. Did the usual searches on the forum and located the 'recommended' suppliers. Dropped them a mail and received a swift reply indicating that the world's supply of machined steel wheel spacers had been exhausted - would have to wait at least three weeks!

Well, I just didn't want to wait did I. Goes on to eBay, and against my better judgement forked out for a set of alloy spacers. They duly arrived a couple of days later. I takes back wheels off first. I offers up the spacer to the hub - good fit - no problems. Get extension bolts and screws one on Too flippin short! Reads instructions and sure enough it says on some installations you will need to shorten the existing wheel bolts. Not a happy man! Should have paid attention to the posts on the forum advising that it's best to mail and check if any mods are needed!!

The question is: Can anyone suggest the best way of shortening all 24 wheel bolts? I really don't fancy setting too and hack sawing them all down by 3mm!!!

Rob
    dont do it the ones on ebay are cheap crap better off forking out the exstra few quid for the solid steel ones with the bolts already seated in the spacers, i bought the ones off ebay at first the bolts kept snapping so i sent them back there are plenty off places that sell the solid ones which are far better but just a bit more exspensive,but not as exspensive as the nuts snapping while you are offroading ouch!

Comment

Poor Rob!

Theres no short cut (sic) you need to cut the studs if your gonna use them. buy lots of hacksaw blades or buy one of these....

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=13898&R=13898

..they're great, I use mine all the time.

They're not the best spacers, but most people who break studs with them havn't cut enough off, and the spacers/wheels arn't snug and the movement is what breaks the studs, or just over tightening them.

Or maybe put them back on e-bay and hope someone else buys them off you!

Remember, if you cut the studs down, you'll be knackered if you ever take the spacers off, and will need to replace all the studs.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Doh bugga...

Thanks for the advice guys.

Having weighed it up I think I'll put them back on eBay....looks like I have something else to add to my growing list of stuff to sell on eBay!

And now the situation's worse. I want the reciprocating saw as well! Looks cool!

Any one suggest a good place to get the solid steel spacers from??

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by nednil
          Thanks for the advice guys.

Having weighed it up I think I'll put them back on eBay....looks like I have something else to add to my growing list of stuff to sell on eBay!

And now the situation's worse. I want the reciprocating saw as well! Looks cool!

Any one suggest a good place to get the solid steel spacers from??

Cheers,

Rob
          hi rob this is what qube3 managed to sort out for us

Hi all, just got off the phone at trackstore and struck a deal for all forum members,

Price for 4 spacers including vat:

Steel machined spacers 32mm = £80 (usually £112)

Universal fit alloy spacers 32mm = £45 (usually £52)

Postage to be added at £8 per vehicle set.

However upto 4 vehicle sets can be sent at this price (16 spacers), so any surf members who live near each other may want to do this.

To Qualify speak to ROB at Trackstore on 01325 261336, mention the forum and my username QUBE 3 and/or MIKE

They do spacers for pretty much all surfs, but speak to ROB for individual requirements.

Happy shopping!!

P.s. any forum members who live near Ipswich and want a set, let me know and we can split postage.

Cheers , Mike
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Aye, t'was first place that a' tried! T'were them that's said they'd run owt, an wun't be gettin em fir't weeks 'n weeks. (Just thought that I'd have a broad Yorkshire moment!)

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X