New Head Poll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Head Poll?

What you think Koi, 1 year on plus maybe its time to see if the figures are changing. 275 votes returned 19.64 said yes they replaced their heads. How bout a fresh poll. Who's 2.4 has cracked the head and who's hasnt!

Sureley a pi** take.

Comment

Good idea, at the moment you can't change your post on the poll if your head has gone after a "no" post, so it may well be a bit misleading.
      Last edited by paulc; 5 June 2005, 21:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
        Sureley a pi** take.
        eh........no?

Comment

Personally I have given up on the has my head gone, mine went ages ago and so did the Surf's.
          But hey if you folks want a new poll then thats what you shall have, so who says yes and who says no.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
            Personally I have given up on the has my head gone, mine went ages ago and so did the Surf's.
            But hey if you folks want a new poll then thats what you shall have, so who says yes and who says no.
            Go for it Nigel as its common knowledge now.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
              I don't see the point in another poll. If people are that bothered, why not just carry on the last one and let those who havn't taken part do so. Next we'll have a rear window poll, a steering idler poll, a 'who's got a clunk' poll, and a 'who knows what the red button is' poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Pete

Comment

whats the red button then?
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I think it would be very valuable to have a new poll - personally when I voted on the last one I had no problems but since then my head went. If (as I suspect) I am not the only one then the old poll is therefore potentially misleading about the scale of the problem.

We still get a lot of people on here asking about the 2.4 and head problems and it's not right to give out old misleading information if we can help it.
                  No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Pete, this is a surf forum. You'd be better off logging onto a CynicsRus forum .I reckon the poll would change by 5-10% and again in another 12 months. It gives folks the chance to say 'yeh my supposedly bombproof Toyota calved too ' and I wanna be the first to change my vote!

Comment

given that someone on here a couple of days back said 99% of heads go on 2.4 engines, i think a pole might be a good plan. or a bigger search button maybe
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                        Pete, this is a surf forum. You'd be better off logging onto a CynicsRus forum .I reckon the poll would change by 5-10% and again in another 12 months. It gives folks the chance to say 'yeh my supposedly bombproof Toyota calved too ' and I wanna be the first to change my vote!
                        Jim, thanks for that, just registered with CynicsRus
                        I can see your point, but equally we'll get people who have had there Surf for 5 mins saying they've had no problems, then 3 months down the line asking for another poll so they can change their answer! Maybe people could give a bit of history with their answer, ie; how long they've had the car; are they the the first owners since import, if not, did the previous owner replace the head?
                        You can see what I mean, something a bit more than 'yes it went' or 'no it didn't'.
                        Localy there are quite a few Surfs around. The vast majority of the owners don't post on this site, but from my info, locally, the figures shown in the last poll would be reversed.

Pete

Comment

Head Problems

I'll go first then, owned surf- 1993 2.4 auto for just over three years of trouble free motoring, and then last oct-nov the head went. Straight up to Stevo who gave it a full rebuild, new head and rebuilt bottom end. Even with the problem, I still consider it to be the finest all-round vehicle I have owned and have no plans to ever get rid of it........next !

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                            I don't see the point in another poll. If people are that bothered, why not just carry on the last one and let those who havn't taken part do so. Next we'll have a rear window poll, a steering idler poll, a 'who's got a clunk' poll, and a 'who knows what the red button is' poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Pete
                            Polls are all good when they are qualified with so many variables.
                            I mean "Which coolant do you use", "How often is it changed", " Do you warm up/ warm down" Has your water pump been replaced".....
                            Without naming all the variables and providing a more scientific basis for a database then a Poll is only at face value.
                            I've done 260k km's on 1 head and my brother is over 270k on his.
                            Good servicing is one thing so is pedigree!!
                            Some Surfs have heads from the "wrong" batch of heads as far as I understand and that is why they go bang!!
                            If yours has racked up some significant k's then as I see it chances are that you have a good head.
                            That brings us to the next problem " Has your odometer been wound back???"

BTW
                            Done the steering idler bushes
                            Modded the rear window ( stage 1 )
                            Dont have a "red button"
                            Lots of other Mods / preventitive maintainance for a 14yo truck!!
                            Simon.O.
                            '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Hi all, just to add my two pennys worth in,when I got my surf
                              that will be some three and a half years now they were a rear
                              beast,now they are quite a common site on the roads.
                              Law of averages the more over hear the "more common" the head
                              problem will seem apparant?
                              My head went at x-mas after 3 yrs of service but its 14 yrs old
                              you have to expect something to give,try running a 14 yr old
                              Ford or Vauxhall.
                              I do a lot of work moving cars in and out if the docks Tilbury,
                              Southampton Portbury etc The inporters will tell you that the
                              standard of cars inported now are of a much lower quality than
                              a few years back as they have found a niche in the UK market to
                              spap up the unwanted vehicles from Japan.
                              One inporter at one of the docks ( no names ) clearly stated that
                              most of the cars comming over now especialy any 2.4 is the
                              rubbish left that no one wants.With respect get any car surveyed
                              before you but it,but thats no insurance of its past history
                              or service as most Japanees dont service the cars because they
                              know they will not be kept for that long.
                              I love my Surf brilliant best car I've owned.
                              Just my oppinion for what it's worth.
                              Chris
                              GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Working...
                              X