Ultimate 2" lift thread.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 2" lift thread.....?

OK, I feel the need to raise my Smurf. I've checked all, well most of the other threads and have got some ideas as well as questions. Prices collected are:

Roughtrax, £375 + VAT?
    LA SuperT, £427.63 Incl VAT
    Explorer, £382 Incl VAT

Now, all of the above include 2 x uprated torsion bars, 2 x springs, & 4 x shocks.

Questions include:
    Why do I need 2 new torsion bars, can I not simply crank up the exisiting ones?

Which one is best?

Also, I've read that fitting Landcruiser 80 rear springs has the same effect, is this true?

The 2" body lift from 'Crawler' (or a UK source), I presume I'd have to look at extending the the steering, gear stick, etc even with std suspension?

And finaly (for the moment), if I fit 2" spacers on std springs, would I still have to buy new shocks (ES3000 or 9000), due to the extra length?

I'm not looking for the cheapest option, just the best and more practical. I know that all springs begin to sag after a while, but I don't want to spend the best part of £400/£500 every couple of years!

Cheers
    Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Hi, look at my Surf in members rigs. I have explorer stuff on mine, es3000 shocks all round that are no longer than standard ones and 2" rear springs. Front has just been cranked up , although you'll notice from the pictures that i have mine set level, slightly nose down. And it all works fine. I am however, going to fit Landcrusier 80 rear springs and put longer shocks if needed. Plus, if they ift the back as much as i think they will then stuff like the brake load sensing valve will need adjusting etc etc...longer brake line etc.. also doing the panhard rod drop bracket.

I would not want stronger front bars as its fine as it is, also if the rear lifts up quite a bit then ive got 1 1/2" ball joint spacers for the front. It'll be a couple of weeks until thats all done though. And if i change the shocks then i'll stick with es3000's as they ride great. I'm hoping that the 80 springs will not sag when i put 50kg in the back, as it is now the 2" springs go down alot.

Hope that helps

Maybe when i put the higher rated cruiser springs in then the uprated torsion bars will be needed............
    Last edited by Dog_Book; 30 May 2005, 21:55.
    3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

I went with the LA Supatrux kit, but got the es9000 shocks. The uprated torsion bars stiffen the front end more, some find the ride harsh, whereas I find it more controlled with much less body roll. Even after fitting the whole lot my back runs a bit lower, but thats due to all the stuff that I carry all the time. All in all, in my opinion, it was the best money I've spent on the girl.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
      X