Rear Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Wheel bearings

I've got a 'rumbling' noise coming from the back ( I think) of my 2nd Gen. I've done a search for wheel bearings, and I've sort of come to the conclusion that it might be time to change mine..

I've seen the aussie website with the pictures and a write up, but it looks a tad too involved for me, just doing it on my driveway, out in the pouring rain (as it surely would). So, anyone know how long each side would likely take, for a local garage to do??

I'm just wondering on cost..

Unless anyone on here want's to have a go for me???

Dave

Oh yes, if I ordered the bits from Roughtrax, what bits do I actually need?!? Obviously the bearing, but what other bits? Seals? New bolts??
    Last edited by dave.j.robbo; 26 May 2005, 22:49. Reason: Forgot to add something!!
    It just does, OK?

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
    I've got a 'rumbling' noise coming from the back ( I think) of my 2nd Gen. I've done a search for wheel bearings, and I've sort of come to the conclusion that it might be time to change mine..

I've seen the aussie website with the pictures and a write up, but it looks a tad too involved for me, just doing it on my driveway, out in the pouring rain (as it surely would). So, anyone know how long each side would likely take, for a local garage to do??

Dave
    Me and a mechanic friend did one of mine in about an hour, A garage would probably charge you 1.5 hours per side if they know what there doing?
    Only a quess so don't quote me on this.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

You'lll need the bearing, inner and outer seals and a bearing retaining ring. When I did mine I bought the bits and pulled the half shafts (easy job) then took the shafts to a local garge for them to change the bearings. Took them about an hour to do both sides and they charged me around £40
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Dave

Oh yes, if I ordered the bits from Roughtrax, what bits do I actually need?!? Obviously the bearing, but what other bits? Seals? New bolts??

it looks a lot more involved than it actualy is m8 its not that hard. you just need a bit of patience when trying to get the old retaining collar off oh and some type of grinder!!! failing that do what gamedawn said and take out the half shafts then down to a local garage should save a bit of coin doing it that way.......
        CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Well, I was right about it being the rear wheel bearing...

Unfortunately, it 'lunched' itself on our way back from Sunny (ha!) Weymouth at the weekend. The seals must be completely buggered now, cos I've got diff oil leaking out all over my driveway at the moment...

But.... I placed an order for new bearings and seals with Roughtrax on Monday morning, and the y arrived this morning(Tuesday)! Can't ask for better service than that!!

I've also got a friendly garage owner, who's gonna change them for me, but has agreed to let me help him. I feel I have the skills to do it on my own, but it akes life easier to be in a nice warm garage, with the truck on a ramp, so we'll be working at a decent height, not scrabbling on the floor......

PLUS, if anything does happen to go wrong, it'll be in the right place!!!

I'll let you know how I get on..
          It just does, OK?

Comment

My Truck's Quiet Again!!!!!!!!!!

I'll let you know how I get on..
            Ahhhhhh, that's more like the sound it should make!!

The nearside bearing had pretty much disintegrated, and was filled with metal filings instead of ball bearings. Easy enough to swap over tho.

The offside didn't seem to have any play in it at all, but I thought while I had the bits, and it was up on the ramp anyway....

Wish I hadn't bothered... Shaft came out easy enough, but that little retaining collar and the bearing were absolute bu**ers to get out..
            Still, they're done now, and the 'orrible noise has gone..
            It just does, OK?

Comment

Ahhhhhh, that's more like the sound it should make!!

The nearside bearing had pretty much disintegrated, and was filled with metal filings instead of ball bearings. Easy enough to swap over tho.

The offside didn't seem to have any play in it at all, but I thought while I had the bits, and it was up on the ramp anyway....

Wish I hadn't bothered... Shaft came out easy enough, but that little retaining collar and the bearing were absolute bu**ers to get out..

Did my offside one last week not to bad are they??
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

.... but that little retaining collar and the bearing were absolute bu**ers to get out..
                My recommended proceedure with the retaining and old bearing outer casing is to grind halfway through them with a Dremel or similar. Then smash them off/out with a big hammer and screwdriver. Takes about 5 minutes that way!!

Nevillef

Comment

Did you make a note of the bearing numbers?
                  Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

My recommend procedure is this....

Then its easy.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
                      Did you make a note of the bearing numbers?
                      The bearing I used was an SKF 6308 2RS1/C3
                      It just does, OK?

Comment

is this it? http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/pro...oducts_id=3482 ?
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                          My recommend procedure is this....

Then its easy.
                          Too refined for me!

Nevillef

(plus no room in my garage!)

Comment

Funny, I expected tapers. Is it two brgs per wheel?
                            Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Hell of a set up in that in that workshop of your's TonyN.........pretty sure you could easily compete with my local Toyo dealership....nice one

Comment

Working...
                              X