Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd Not Disengaging

Hi Gang,

I appear to have a problem with the 4WD (low) not disengaging.

Last week I was on a steep slip way and I engaged it to get back up as it was a bit slippery & wet. It was a straight line drive. I tried to take it out of 4WD at the top of the slope. but it would not disengage.

I drove about 100 yards trying different things, I managed to do it in the end by reversing.

Am I worrying about nothing or have I a problem looming? I have not had a problem in the past with this.

Many Thanks

Paul
    DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

sounds like a normal binding issue. Its suprising how easy it is to bind up the driveline.

try and use it a bit more to make sure every is moving free and not sticking. like the ADD sleeve (unlikely) or the t/case vacuum servo (more likely) if you have a push button 4WD t/case.

I wouldn't worry yet.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony & Ian,

If it does bind up can we unbind it?
      And sorry about being a "THICKO" but what is the ADD sleeve?

I did forget to mention that it is manual.

I shall chat to our friendly farmer and run it up around his fields tomorrow (before I clean it).

Once again many thanks guys.

Regards

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Dunno
        Thanks Tony & Ian,

If it does bind up can we unbind it?
        And sorry about being a "THICKO" but what is the ADD sleeve?

I did forget to mention that it is manual.

I shall chat to our friendly farmer and run it up around his fields tomorrow (before I clean it).

Once again many thanks guys.

Regards

Paul
        You can sometimes unbind it by reversing the direction of travel for a foot or two, carefull not to move the steering during this as you can make it worse. If so severly bound as to cause a stall you may have to jack a wheel off the ground to relieve the stress.

ADD= Automatic Disconnecting Differential
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Many thanks Maurice.

I will take it up the farm and give it a good reverse in 4WD as I did not reverse very far last week as I had the boat on the back.

Then I shall try and round up all the sheep, cows & Gee Gees! Good job the farmer is a very good friend!

Paul

Comment

"And sorry about being a "THICKO" but what is the ADD sleeve?"

Have a look here -

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add/

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              "And sorry about being a "THICKO" but what is the ADD sleeve?"

Have a look here -

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add/

Neville
              cheers nev, that saved me a hours typing then 2 hours sorting the typo's!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                didnt think you could disengage 4wd in low, thought you only had the option in high
                tried it today, when i select low gear 4wd is engaged automatically, in high gear i have the option of 2 or 4wd
                [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                [size=5][/size]
                [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by Dunno
                  Hi Gang,

I appear to have a problem with the 4WD (low) not disengaging.

Last week I was on a steep slip way and I engaged it to get back up as it was a bit slippery & wet. It was a straight line drive. I tried to take it out of 4WD at the top of the slope. but it would not disengage.

I drove about 100 yards trying different things, I managed to do it in the end by reversing.

Am I worrying about nothing or have I a problem looming? I have not had a problem in the past with this.

Many Thanks

Paul
                  After reading your post I decided it was high time I tried my 4WD. Had a play over some nice humps and bumps on some waste ground nearby. Apart from grounding the towbar, I had no real problems, except I didnt notice the letter "N" on the "High,Low,4WD" lever and spent ages looking like a pr*t trying to pull away in neutral! Just as well I learnt today, in private and not a Devils Pit
                  After grounding the towbar, I think I am going to utilise the hole where the winding handle would go if I had an underslung spare wheel, and put the towbar electrics there. I have already bent the bracket twice
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Well done Gents you have come up Trumps yet again!

I took it up the farm and gave it a bit of a reverse in a straight line, then hearded up the cattle, and hey presto she came out of 4WD no problem.

Thanks once again

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X