Newbie queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie queries

I have been looking at some 3 litre 93 / 94 Surfs for use with a horse trailer. A few thing have come to light which you can hopefully help me with.

I am not a slim as I used to be but I found it very awkward to get into the truck. Is this normal?

Is the rear window / tail gate something to worry about? My fear is that if the motor fails we will not be able to get into the back of the truck.

How does this truck compare to the Pajero (2.8 lwb) and Big Horn 3.1TD lwb?

Thanks Alan

Originally posted by alan martin
    I have been looking at some 3 litre 93 / 94 Surfs for use with a horse trailer. A few thing have come to light which you can hopefully help me with.

I am not a slim as I used to be but I found it very awkward to get into the truck. Is this normal?

Is the rear window / tail gate something to worry about? My fear is that if the motor fails we will not be able to get into the back of the truck.

Thanks Alan
    Never found it awkward to get in to, maybe a little practice will perfect the art, is the seat to near the wheel not allowing enough room to get in.
    Rear window, once in a while check cogs etc for grease and keep rubber window runners clean (as you should with any electric window). The motor etc is easy to access, seats fold down so you can get to the back always.
    Pajero & Big Horn, hmmmmmmmmmm you is opening a can of worms here, personally I prefer the Surf but you could say thats my biased opinion. Having been in a Paj & Big Horn I didn't like the ride (like being on a boat) or the seating position. The Paj rear load space is less than a Surf with stupid great Wheel arches that take up a lot of the rear space. Just don't like the overall look of the Big Horn. Thats my opinion, the choice is yours.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

I'm not exactly slim...

...in fact by most peoples standards I'm a big lad.

It is in fact practice. First time I tried to get in I felt it was ackward. Best way to get in is left foot first. Hold the handle to the top right of the doorway and swing in. Once you've done it a couple of times you'll forget that you ever thought it was awkward.

As for choice, I much prefer the look of the Surf. Fell in love with one that my mate had. Took me a few months to bite the bullet, but I'm well chuffed with what I have ('93 3.0 SSRX Auto). Just in the process of converting it to veg oil - then I plan to get rid of my Peugeot!

Rob
      Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

My Brother-in-law has an Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD and to be honest...is slower than a snail!.....I had a chance to drive it [borrowed whilst put my car in the garage] and certainly didn't like the higher driving style and the slowness of the vehicle. You could certainly tell the xtra weight.
        Gaz

Comment

Thanks Alan
          The Surf has a very high ground clearance (excellent for off-roading) and a reletively low roof (able to get into most multi-storey car parks). Getting in just reqiures a knack - I have found the easiest way is to stand on the running board then lower myself into the seat
          I have tried the Pajero and Discovery and been a passenger in a Trooper and the Surf is the best of all (for me anyway). It has the biggest load deck (again a consideration when I bought it as I carry a lot of necessary test equipment for work). Like you I tow a double horse trailer and have had no problems at all both on and off road. You can engage 4wd High on the move up 60mph so no getting stuck if the surface changes and no getting out to lock up wheel hubs. The wife once got stuck with a horse trailer on with her Diahatsu 4Trak because you have to creep forward for approx 15mts to allow the front hubs to engage 4WD - as she was already stuck 4WD couldnt be engaged.
          The Surf has been totally reliable and the tailgate is really useful if you want to carry long loads (dont have to hoist them onto a roof rack).
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose losing a little weight would not do me any harm and with practice I might even get into it....

What about the rear window and tailgate?

Has anyone had any problem because of the fact that the tailgate folds down and you have to stretch further to get onto the back?

Have there been any problems with the rear window not coming down and not being able to open the back tailgate?

On a second gen, can the spare be mounted under the truck

Sorry about all the questions....

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose losing a little weight would not do me any harm and with practice I might even get into it....

What about the rear window and tailgate?

Has anyone had any problem because of the fact that the tailgate folds down and you have to stretch further to get onto the back?

Have there been any problems with the rear window not coming down and not being able to open the back tailgate?

On a second gen, can the spare be mounted under the truck

Sorry about all the questions....
              Iv'e never had any problems with the tailgate - but if it happens you can get into the back via the drop down rear seats and access the tailgate mechanism from there.
              Yes it can be a stretch to reach over the dropped tailgate but it is very strong so you can kneel/sit on it and the rear mounted spare wheel carrier swings open easily and can be fasyened back.
              An underslung spare wheel carrier can be fitted - put an ad on the Parts Wanted section of the Forum for the carrier and you may get lucky.
              Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

hmmm, can't help you on any mechanical issues i'm afraid, but having had my 3.ltr turbo diesel for 18 months, allow me to share this..

any little inconviencies regarding the entry of the surf, or access to the rear deck, are always rendered insignificant by the sheer beauty and elegance of the surf..cosmeticaly, she is a design marvel...18 months on, i still get misty eyed when i espy my rig in a supermarket carpark or town centre..there are very few angles at which the surf doesn't look good..and despite your portly frame, you will pull birds in this vehicle..

entering the surf is individual choice, gained through experience, and sometimes humilliation..my preference is to swing my left leg in, whilst pulling myself in with assistance from the steering wheel..however you do it, once mastered, it becomes effortless, so don't allow initial clumsiness to influence your desision..once seated, you will be able to drive for 100's of miles without the need for orthopedic intervention..

the tailgate..mine has never been serviced, and neuither has it ever stuck..the fact that the gate swings down, does make putting awkward loads in, tricky..but, as mentioned, it makes for a strong seating or lovemaking platform, yes, i have tried both..as mentioned, access from the rear doors is always an option..i might be wrong, but i thought there was an option with the surf of a conventionally sideways opening door?? or was i thinking of the spare wheel assembly, mine's underneath?

ps..the access via the back door wasn't an intentional inuendo.

Comment

Working...
                X