Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Gen 3 Suspension Ride Quality Options

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for recommendations for springs/shocks for my Gen3 Surf.

The suspension is in good condition, but I find the ride too hard, its very "crashy" and on the rough local roads, I worry its going to shake the truck to bits

On silky smooth roads, the ride is outstanding, and very quiet, but minor bumps on anything else shake through the car excessively for me.

It currently has Bilstein B6's fitted, and I'm just wondering about suggested makes/specs for shocks and springs that would lean back towards comfort rather than sport.

The suspension is lifted above standard, though the front has now sagged, so although i'd like to ideally have the truck lifted over standard still, if comfort means I don't get increased ride height its not the end of the world

Of course if anyone has any ideas as to if anything else could be causing the harshness..........

Thanks, Paul.

Hi Paul,

I feel that the lift probably adds to the harsh ride issue. The time my surf rode best was when I still had the original Toyota shocks , that could be adjusted (soft/hard).

I used to keep the soft setting and it was very comfortable on bumps and corrugations. The after market shocks we all fit make the ride really harsh.

The type of general suspension bushes also has an effect: rubber is better than poly.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
      Hi Paul,

I feel that the lift probably adds to the harsh ride issue. The time my surf rode best was when I still had the original Toyota shocks , that could be adjusted (soft/hard).

I used to keep the soft setting and it was very comfortable on bumps and corrugations. The after market shocks we all fit make the ride really harsh.

The type of general suspension bushes also has an effect: rubber is better than poly.

Cheers
      Hi Tashtego,

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences. I'm hoping that there is some availability of a shock absorber that isn't made of Granite, I'm certain someone would have made something softer, rock hard shockers surely aren't conductive to a useable off-roader, the ride i've got is going to shake the car to bits haha.. Not sure if mines' had poly-bushes fitted, I suspect it hasn't.

Thanks, Paul.

Comment

Hi Paul, it's not got poly bushes. The ride was a bit wallowy before I put the Bilsteins on; the damping was too soft for my liking and probably at least six years old by the time I changed it out. It does ride well on the motorway, but yeah, it's firm over bumps.
        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
          Hi Paul, it's not got poly bushes. The ride was a bit wallowy before I put the Bilsteins on; the damping was too soft for my liking and probably at least six years old by the time I changed it out. It does ride well on the motorway, but yeah, it's firm over bumps.
          Thanks Jim, Absolutely right, on smooth roads the ride is very very good. Wollowy ride I can cope with, I had a Land-rover! haha. The harsh ride isn't really the cars fault, its the roads where I live, go on the A1, and its lovely, getting to the A1, in the words of Rev W. Audrey "that's another story"

Its parked up for now, I've got back brakes to strip down and clean, as it looks like there is oil coming out of the drums. I've bought brake piston overhaul sets, as well as axle oil seal sets from Milner to cover for both eventualities. Priority before that is changing the discs and pads on the C-Class. After I've recovered from that financial hit, I'll look at the suspension.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Working...
          X