Towbar dimentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towbar dimentions

Hi i have just got my 1997 surf, i am looking at making my own towbar for it, i am a fabricator by trade so no problems with quality.

Has anyone got a towbar on a 3rd gen that they can photograph/ take pics of? and take the dimentions of fixing holes, material used etc

Maybe i can make a few?

John
    probably better to email me direct rallyxtreme@btopenworld.com
    [url]www.higgsengineering.co.uk/carbonfibre.htm[/url]

Originally posted by Surfin_dude
    Hi i have just got my 1997 surf, i am looking at making my own towbar for it, i am a fabricator by trade so no problems with quality.

Has anyone got a towbar on a 3rd gen that they can photograph/ take pics of? and take the dimentions of fixing holes, material used etc

Maybe i can make a few?

John
    probably better to email me direct rallyxtreme@btopenworld.com
    AFAIK the MK3 Surf shares the same chassis as the Landcruiser Colarado- you'll need to copy a towbar for one of these.

Nevillef

Comment

ive had a look about and found a drawing of a witter tow bracket for this model, it also fits the LWB colorado. does anyone have one of these fitted?

Comment

ive had a look about and found a drawing of a witter tow bracket for this model, it also fits the LWB colorado. does anyone have one of these fitted?
        Try a search on the forum for towbars, you'll find plenty of info as to who has what fitted.

Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

tow bar manufacturing

Hi I kive in Bucks not to far away. Did you get around to manufacturing
          a towbar?. What did it come out like ? and did ypou make any more . Could be willing to part with cash if the price is right!!
          martin

Comment

Originally posted by marticogo
            Hi I kive in Bucks not to far away. Did you get around to manufacturing
            a towbar?. What did it come out like ? and did ypou make any more . Could be willing to part with cash if the price is right!!
            martin
            He was talking of making them to suit the 3rd Gen models, these would not fit on your 2nd Gen unfortunatly.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

towequipe are the people for cheap and solid towbars for 2nd and 3rd gen

BUT

there have been reports that the towball when fitted is too close to the bumper to get a hitch on so point out to them that you have read these reports and ask them what they have done about it!

ALTHOUGH

I fitted one to a 2nd gen 2 weeks ago and it went smoothly ('specific to surf' wiring help would have been helpful)

Comment

towbar/bikes

verdampened,
                if i get one to fit and if i have the wheel on the rear door
                if I put a bike rack onthe tow ball /bar will it get in the way of the spare wheel

Comment

verdampened,
                  if i get one to fit and if i have the wheel on the rear door
                  if I put a bike rack onthe tow ball /bar will it get in the way of the spare wheel
                  Probably.
                  I have a Towequipe bar fitted to my 3rd Gen and was pleased with the quality, price and technical help available at the end of the phone when I had a problem at 4.30pm on a Saturday afternoon.
                  I have a Halfords bike rack that fits over the spare wheel - almost new, bought for £20 from Adtrader. Takes two bikes and fits securely when laden. Dead easy to get on and off.
                  I'm not sure if you could have two bikes and a trailer/caravan fitted though - would depend on the length of the A bar and whether you want to go round any corners!!!
                  Keith

Comment

Cheers will look in small ads for bike rack and just go ahead with ordering a towbar!.
                    Do I need to specify 'surf' wiring as mentioned in a previous post?

Comment

Cheers will look in small ads for bike rack and just go ahead with ordering a towbar!.
                      Do I need to specify 'surf' wiring as mentioned in a previous post?
                      The wiring instructions that came with the towbar were accurate as regards colour coding etc for my 3rd Gen.
                      The only thing that I didn't like was the bleeper for the trailer indicators. It was so loud it made the wife jump and frightened the dog every time I indicated!!
                      In the end I opened the bleeper box, unsoldered the bleeper from the circuit board and substituted an LED which I installed on the dash - much more civilised!
                      Keith

Comment

Originally posted by s2-wolf
                        The wiring instructions that came with the towbar were accurate as regards colour coding etc for my 3rd Gen.
                        The only thing that I didn't like was the bleeper for the trailer indicators. It was so loud it made the wife jump and frightened the dog every time I indicated!!
                        In the end I opened the bleeper box, unsoldered the bleeper from the circuit board and substituted an LED which I installed on the dash - much more civilised!
                        I think under new EC regs the bleeper is compolsery and can be checked by plod roadside when if they stop you when towing . I buried mine in the back and meant to wrap it in tape to reduce the noise but never did .
                        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                          I think under new EC regs the bleeper is compolsery and can be checked by plod roadside when if they stop you when towing . I buried mine in the back and meant to wrap it in tape to reduce the noise but never did .
                          You're probably right - any daft idea seems to emanate from the EC!
                          My arguement would be that as I have a means of checking whether the trailer indicators are working, visible from the driving seat, what's the problem?
                          Probably wouldn't do me any good if it was an officer who'd had a really bad day and had fallen behind with his points score, but I think the majority of PC's would see it as a reasonable arguement.
                          If anyone has a definitive answer to this problem, I would be interested to hear it - before meeting the boys in blue!!
                          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by s2-wolf
                            Probably.
                            I have a Towequipe bar fitted to my 3rd Gen and was pleased with the quality, price and technical help available at the end of the phone when I had a problem at 4.30pm on a Saturday afternoon.
                            I have a Halfords bike rack that fits over the spare wheel - almost new, bought for £20 from Adtrader. Takes two bikes and fits securely when laden. Dead easy to get on and off.
                            I'm not sure if you could have two bikes and a trailer/caravan fitted though - would depend on the length of the A bar and whether you want to go round any corners!!!
                            any chance of taking a look at your towbar? im in reading so not too far away.

Comment

any chance of taking a look at your towbar? im in reading so not too far away.
                              You have mail!!
                              Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X