Snapped timing belt pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapped timing belt pics

My 2.4 failed last week due to snapped timing belt (fitted by me last year, spurious belt).

On the flat side of the belt you have a cornered shoulder at either edge, one shoulder has worn and rounded like a tyre with bad tracking, and the belt has a big diagonal jagged tear right across a 4 inch section of the belt.

The rounding may have been down to the belt rubbing constantly on something but what? There is an inner rail on the crankshaft pulley to keep the belt aligned. This wear could have led to the breach in the inner strands.

On the other hand a tear in the belt anywhere would have put immense pressure on the strongest side hence wearing it until it snapped.

Needless to say the belt snapped as it rounded the crankshaft. Theories welcome!

Check the tensioner is not bent or misaligned . That has caused many a timing belt failure on various vehicles by letting the belt rub .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Will do Rick, will fit a new tensioner and new Toybelt if this works out.

Heres the pics....

Last edited by JimL; 20 March 2005, 22:11.

Comment

cam belt

sorry to here of your misfortune is it not possible you were supplied a faulty belt can you let me know how much damage did it cause as mine is due but have'nt got round to changing it yet.

Comment

Dodgy belt from Milners, surely not my good man!
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

I'm not one to try and blame another for something that they werent responsible for soooooooo.....

I did buy the belt from them BUT

I'm not in the position to point the blame at the belt because there are other variables out there that need confirmation such as 1) the tensioner 2) possible seizure of the engine due to a seized pump or seized engine.

They have asked for the return of the belt and have ruled nothing out in the brief phonecall I had with them, I havent yet returned it though.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              I'm not one to try and blame another for something that they werent responsible for soooooooo.....

I did buy the belt from them BUT

I'm not in the position to point the blame at the belt because there are other variables out there that need confirmation such as 1) the tensioner 2) possible seizure of the engine due to a seized pump or seized engine.

They have asked for the return of the belt and have ruled nothing out in the brief phonecall I had with them, I havent yet returned it though.
              Copy parts are ok for some items (brakes filters etc) but I would NEVER fit a copy cam belt! Copy belts have been failing since the old Ford 1600 days!!!

Might be more expensive but worth it in the long run! If I were to hazard a guess Id say blet failure! almost certainly nothing wrong with the engine until the belt went!

Hope you get it sorted tho bud!
              THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Sorry if I'm off topic but what kind of damage to the engine did you encounter when t-belt snaped? I think mine may have slipped, engine wont start and wondering what I might be in for.

Comment

Working...
                X