T-Belt light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Belt light

Sorry if this seems a bit dense but I'm new to the surf (4 days!!). The T-Belt light on the dashboard is on when the ignition is on but when I start the engine this goes out ... does that mean the belt is ok if the light goes out or is it warning me by the light coming on with the ignition??

Does that make sense???

Thanks for any light (pardon the pun) anyone can shed!!

David
    [SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=darkorange][B]David[/B]
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [COLOR=darkred][B]3.0 TD SSR-X - Maroon over Silver[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally posted by david
    Sorry if this seems a bit dense but I'm new to the surf (4 days!!). The T-Belt light on the dashboard is on when the ignition is on but when I start the engine this goes out ... does that mean the belt is ok if the light goes out or is it warning me by the light coming on with the ignition??

Does that make sense???

Thanks for any light (pardon the pun) anyone can shed!!

David

As long as its not light when the engine is running you're ok. Like oil lights etc it should light up on ign to show the bulb is working, then extinguish once started
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks

Fantastic ... that's made me feel better!!!! I'll get it changed anyway but at least I'm in no immediate rush to get it done!!

Comment

Fantastic ... that's made me feel better!!!! I'll get it changed anyway but at least I'm in no immediate rush to get it done!!
        the only other time it should come on is at 100,000kms to say change me!
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Where is this light on the dash, (for timing belt) just went ot to mine and I cant see any light, I do have a little rubber bung on the dash, right infront of the little micro switch, that the switch I think you push in st cancel the engine warning light, does that mean mine has had the engine warning light come on at some time in it's life, the clock says it's done 74,000 km's i'm wondering if the clock has been wound back, but the car is like new, inside and out?

Comment

David

Have the timing belt changed ASAP.Mileage is not the only thing to consider.Timing belts can deteriorate with age and sometimes these vehicles have been sitting around for a long time without being started.

Not sure which year your Surf is but if it is a '96 and it has original belt then it is 7 years old.I prefer to change timing belts at 80.000 or 4 years.This is also a good time to check the other parts like water pump, tensioner,idler pulley,crank and cam seals etc in this area.Much cheaper to do this than repair the damage caused by a broken belt.

Neville
            Last edited by NiftyNev; 5 November 2003, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
              Where is this light on the dash, (for timing belt) just went ot to mine and I cant see any light, I do have a little rubber bung on the dash, right infront of the little micro switch, that the switch I think you push in st cancel the engine warning light, does that mean mine has had the engine warning light come on at some time in it's life, the clock says it's done 74,000 km's i'm wondering if the clock has been wound back, but the car is like new, inside and out?
              T-belt light is along the bottom with the other warning lights.Mine has T- belt printed on it.Switch on dash resets the T-belt light.Engine warning light comes on if ECU detects a problem.This light is reset by disconnecting battery or removing fuse to clear the memory of fault codes.

Neville

Comment

when timing belt light comes on and you change belt does the light have to be reset? (how is this done if so) how much ££ are we looking at paying for change of belt?

Comment

Originally posted by craig boyd
                  when timing belt light comes on and you change belt does the light have to be reset? (how is this done if so) how much ££ are we looking at paying for change of belt?
                  Do it your self, timing belt about £12 ish from milners couple of hours total = £12ish and the price of a few beers. Garage, £20-£25 for belt £50 ish labour = very large whisky and a lie down.
                  Little rubber grommet in dial fascia take out, thin implement inserts into hole and push reset button.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by craig boyd
                    On 2nd Gen models (and I assume on 1st gen) there is a rubber bung on the dials facia, remove this and insert thin object screwdriver etc to push the reset switch. You now have another 100k before the light comes on.
                    On 3rd Gen models its a little more difficult, the dials assy must be removed, then there is a screw which must be removed from the rear of the cluster and refitted in the adjacent hole.
                    Maurice
                    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hmmmm thanks guys maybe I'll get the belt changed now!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X