Spare wheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare wheel removal

Hi all picked my surf today, read most of the FAQ before buying a 1993 2.4.One thing I need to know is How to remove the spare wheel (underslung type) and where are the jack and wheel brace are located.Many thanks to all previous answers to all the posts they have been a mine of info to a newbie like me.
    Best regards to all
    [Rick

The bottlejack and handle needed to remove the spare wheel should be under the nearside rear seat, stick your hand down the back and find the pull strap, give it a tug and the seat base will lift up. There is a flap in the floor, and thats where your jack is. Stick the handle through the hole in the middle of the back bumper, it might need a bit of a wiggle about until it engages, then wind the wheel down to the floor. Job done.
    good luck
    John
    [SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]I can fix it...it won't be cheap.........or pretty![/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by jet1749
      The bottlejack and handle needed to remove the spare wheel should be under the nearside rear seat, stick your hand down the back and find the pull strap, give it a tug and the seat base will lift up. There is a flap in the floor, and thats where your jack is. Stick the handle through the hole in the middle of the back bumper, it might need a bit of a wiggle about until it engages, then wind the wheel down to the floor. Job done.
      good luck
      John
      Thanks John,found the jack,a two part long thing with a hook on one end and nothing the other(must be a driver for it somwhere) some naff tools in a roll and what looks like a collapsable wheel chock.I will make sure it go's up and down tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by tricky ricky
        Thanks John,found the jack,a two part long thing with a hook on one end and nothing the other(must be a driver for it somwhere) some naff tools in a roll and what looks like a collapsable wheel chock.I will make sure it go's up and down tomorrow.
        The driver for it should be in that little tool roll.
        Mine is a j shape bar about 14" long with a square hole in the middle.
        Good idea to see if the spare does come down, they are notorious for being pigs of things.
        Simon.O.
        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by simono
          The driver for it should be in that little tool roll.
          Mine is a j shape bar about 14" long with a square hole in the middle.
          Good idea to see if the spare does come down, they are notorious for being pigs of things.
          No driver there for it but I have found that a cheap 12mm socket not hex head and a ratchet filts the bill.I lowered it today(after working out that you need to go in at an angle with the hooked bar and not straight in) Hooray it works,plenty of copperslip on the cable and knuckles and it is back in there.Hopefully to only be seen for servicing and cleaning.Thanks for the help.
          Rick

Comment

spare wheel help

I have just bought a 93 2.5 surf and cant find the device to wind down the spare wheel. I have found the jack and the tool roll thing !! Where is the wind down thingy ???

Please help

Boonox

Originally posted by tricky ricky View Post

Comment

funny I was interested in this today as well, with the underslung type there are 2 wind down thingies, one is in the middle of the car (handle straight in), the other is on the NS, the handle needs to go in at a 45degree angle pointing just behind the NS rear wheel.

tbh I think the chances of you hitting the winder without lying under the truck are limited.
              Toot! Toot!

Comment

if its not in the tool roll or under the seat then i'm afraid you probably aint got one
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                X