Steering geometry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering geometry

Done a search on this for a 2nd gen. 3.0 & got several different figures from different threads. Found a place that can do the checks but no point till i'm sure of the figures. Anyone know the correct ones for sure?
    Cheers..

Originally posted by mikey
    Done a search on this for a 2nd gen. 3.0 & got several different figures from different threads. Found a place that can do the checks but no point till i'm sure of the figures. Anyone know the correct ones for sure?
    Cheers..
    I got this data off the forum. Cant remember the thread but the member who posted it had used this and it was the same as the firm doing their tracking.
    Hope this helps
    Jon

Tracking data

Camber.....0.10 to 1.10
    Caster......1.10 to 2.10
    Toe..........0.03 to 0.15
    Inc. angle...12.35
    SAI............11.55
    BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
      I got this data off the forum. Cant remember the thread but the member who posted it had used this and it was the same as the firm doing their tracking.
      Hope this helps
      Jon

Tracking data

Camber.....0.10 to 1.10
      Caster......1.10 to 2.10
      Inc. angle...12.35
      SAI............11.55

Its the same as the 4 runner
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Thanks...........

Comment

I had a problem too

I had/have a problem with my tracking too. I get steering wheel wobble at low speed when braking, it still brakes in a straight line, but I was always having to steer towards the centre of the road when driving.

I had it set and the problem was still there, I had it rechecked, and even took along the settings from this site in case they had got it wrong, but they showed me on the jig that it was all ok.

I then took the Surf in for an oil and filter change, and asked them to check the brakes. They confirmed that the disks were fine, but that the pads were worn very low. I had the pads changed, but they then mentioned that all the front steering linkages had a tiny amount of play in them. They weren't trying to flog me anything, and by sheer coincidence they had another Surf in at the same time and that one was exactly the same. They had no idea whether the play was simply a characteristic (as it is on other 4x4's) or an indication of wear.

Anyhow, I went to France the following week, and guess what? The Surf steered the other way! It appears that Surfs may be prone to following the camber?

I would be interested to know if others experience this problem, and whether the free play issue is something to be concerned about?

I intend to get the wheels balanced soon, to see if this helps at all.

Cheers

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
            I had/have a problem with my tracking too. I get steering wheel wobble at low speed when braking, it still brakes in a straight line, but I was always having to steer towards the centre of the road when driving.

I had it set and the problem was still there, I had it rechecked, and even took along the settings from this site in case they had got it wrong, but they showed me on the jig that it was all ok.

I then took the Surf in for an oil and filter change, and asked them to check the brakes. They confirmed that the disks were fine, but that the pads were worn very low. I had the pads changed, but they then mentioned that all the front steering linkages had a tiny amount of play in them. They weren't trying to flog me anything, and by sheer coincidence they had another Surf in at the same time and that one was exactly the same. They had no idea whether the play was simply a characteristic (as it is on other 4x4's) or an indication of wear.

Anyhow, I went to France the following week, and guess what? The Surf steered the other way! It appears that Surfs may be prone to following the camber?

I would be interested to know if others experience this problem, and whether the free play issue is something to be concerned about?

I intend to get the wheels balanced soon, to see if this helps at all.

Cheers

Rob
            I have been through this problem as well. It seems that with the huge amount of power assistance on the steering and the size of the tyres that the Surf does follow the camber of the road. Like you I found that if the camber is to the right the Surf then pulls right. Found that as the tyres started to wear the pull became less, presumably because as the tyres became worn they better suited the steering geometry. The effect is much less now - in fact I hardly notice it.
            The juddering you feel when braking is quite possibly worn/warped front discs. I have had this in the past on a couple of cars and in both cases replacement discs cured it.
            Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Urgent: Steering geometry!!

Originally posted by Grimreeper
              Hope this helps
              Jon

Tracking data

Camber.....0.10 to 1.10
              Caster......1.10 to 2.10
              Inc. angle...12.35
              SAI............11.55
              Morning all, Can anyone tell me what these figures are , ie. degrees, 1/100th of degrees, mm, inches???

Got the surf booked in this am and mech needs to know.
              Hope to get back to the forum late am so any help appreciated.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                Morning all, Can anyone tell me what these figures are , ie. degrees, 1/100th of degrees, mm, inches???

Got the surf booked in this am and mech needs to know.
                Hope to get back to the forum late am so any help appreciated.
                That type of quoting is usually referring to inches, but I may be completely wrong.

Comment

thanks matt, got info from another thread, but mech says my track rod and steering idler are worn, so I need to get new ones before he can re-test.
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Quick update and to save confusion. The above figures are in DEGREES.
                    En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Working...
                    X