Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Mounted Spare Wheel Carrier

Hi Guys,

Is removing the rear mounted wheel carrier off a 2nd gen as easy as it appears?
    (I need to get it off to be able to run with the tailgate down)

It seems that all you need to do is undo the 2 bolts holding each bracket and it drops off.

I've tried search but couldn't find anything hence new thread.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Yes it is easy, however then you will need to get a new licence plate carrier (got mine off eBay) and a underslung spare wheel carrier (it's a chain device).

Then you will need to get the rear quarters and the tailgate resprayed to cover up the holes.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Lucky.

I was hoping it was going to be easy.

The removal is only going to be temporary while I am moving furniture for my daughter (beds, wardrobes etc) and the carrier will go back on after.

Ken
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

could be easyer / better to rent a trailer or van instead of risking scratching / damaging the back of your hilux, its a lot of hassle just to move some furniture about,

Comment

its a 4x4 and meant for abuse not keeping pretty!!! load it up....

Comment

What do you plan to do with the swing out carrier you remove?

Mark
            :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
              What do you plan to do with the swing out carrier you remove?

Mark
              Originally posted by The Kid
              The removal is only going to be temporary while I am moving furniture for my daughter (beds, wardrobes etc) and the carrier will go back on after.

Ken
              Neville

Comment

D'oh...
                :

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
                  its a 4x4 and meant for abuse not keeping pretty!!! load it up....
                  Thanks for the replies.

I go along with madcampbell on this as one of the reasons I bought it ( so I keep telling her indoors!) was that I could get all the camping gear in it and not have to use the trailer.
                  All I need now is a cheap roof rack so she can take the kitchen sink as well!

Ken

Comment

Just to update, I actually didn't have to take the carrier off, only the wheel, as the carrier came round over the top of the tailgate enough to stop it sticking out the side. Also gave me somewhere to tie all the rope to.

Only downside to the removals was a strong smell of diesel which I put down to having the back open. Unfortunately had a quick look under the bonnet today and there is a fine spray coming from the top right side of the engine.

Just come back from getting my little man to have a look and he thinks it could be a cracked injector pipe! Going back later for him to have a better look on the ramp.

Looks like it might have been cheaper to use Pickfords!

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid
                      Just to update, I actually didn't have to take the carrier off, only the wheel, as the carrier came round over the top of the tailgate enough to stop it sticking out the side. Also gave me somewhere to tie all the rope to.

Only downside to the removals was a strong smell of diesel which I put down to having the back open. Unfortunately had a quick look under the bonnet today and there is a fine spray coming from the top right side of the engine.

Just come back from getting my little man to have a look and he thinks it could be a cracked injector pipe! Going back later for him to have a better look on the ramp.

Looks like it might have been cheaper to use Pickfords!

Ken
                      Look on the plus side- being able to run with the rear door down helped you find a fault you didn't otherwise know about.

It's lot better fixing it now than have your Surf burst into flames on the M5!!!

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                        Look on the plus side- being able to run with the rear door down helped you find a fault you didn't otherwise know about.

It's lot better fixing it now than have your Surf burst into flames on the M5!!!

Nevillef
                        You're right there, Laser_Jock99.
                        Apparently injector pipes 3 & 4 had been rubbing on an unused bracket below them (could it be that they should have been fixed to that?) and that had worn holes in them.
                        Current estimate is £43 for parts (dealer) about 3-4 hours labour and should be back on the road by Thurs, so not too bad considering.

Ken
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Brute force and ignorance works for me!

Comment

Working...
                        X