Taking Back Windows Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Back Windows Out

Need to paint both sides of my Surf and want to avoid any edges around the fixed rear side windows. These windows appear to be bolted to the car from inside! Has anyone taken these out before - any tips - they look expensive.

windows

Hi yes l have took 2 sets out and they can be a "PAIN", they are not just bolted in they are also sealed in which does not seem to go off, which is good news you can reuse most of it.

1/ You will have to take you rear inside panels off
    2/ There are about 7 10mm nuts on view undo them.
    3/ There are 3 HIDDEN nut along the top of the window
    4/ I would leave the windows for about 30mins to see if they free off slightly on there own and then apply gentle pressure around the edges.

Thats the best way l have found to get them out in one piece.
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

thanks for the info. - it will save a lot of time.
      Did you torque up the nuts when refitting - or just do them up evenly until they were tight?

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
        Hi yes l have took 2 sets out and they can be a "PAIN", they are not just bolted in they are also sealed in which does not seem to go off, which is good news you can reuse most of it.

1/ You will have to take you rear inside panels off
        2/ There are about 7 10mm nuts on view undo them.
        3/ There are 3 HIDDEN nut along the top of the window
        4/ I would leave the windows for about 30mins to see if they free off slightly on there own and then apply gentle pressure around the edges.

Thats the best way l have found to get them out in one piece.
        Also if you can get it through, get some wire (garden twist wire will do) and poke it through the sealant (may not be possible but give it a go), you can then use it like a cheese cutter to release the window. Works for some bonded windscreens.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X