No announcement yet.

Is my head going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water from the exhaust, is that it, when my surfs head went i didn,t get steam water jack s**t from the exhaust.
    Pop down tomorrow with a small container and discretely throw some water up the exhaust. If thats all what they are worried about I would make sure that if they say the heads OK you get it in triplicate and documented what tests they carried out to confirm this.

If they think if the heads cracked it should have water up the exhaust or water in the oil then they are wrong, mine didn't Andy's (Lucky) didn't in fact I drove mine for two weeks with the cracked head and if I remember Andy for over a month.
    As you have changed the stat, done the flush and the symptons you describe I bet 99% its the head, don't take no S##t from them it wont just be the gasket either.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

I agree with you guys, I dont trust any garage and it's in my mind that they will try and blame a rad cap or something cheap and throw crappy block seal in. What ever repair they do i will make sure they extend the warranty on the repair for at least 6 months.

But you never know sometimes mechanics can pleasantly suprise us. I should find out Monday night what they have found after the pressure test on the head, so i will know if the B.S. starts then.

I would like to thank everyone so far for the advice, it came in very handy when i was talking to the garage when i knew more than they did.
      cheers guys & gals

Mat

Comment

Originally posted by Tudor
        But you never know sometimes mechanics can pleasantly suprise us.
        Thats probably right! (at least i hope you're right on this one)
        It's the rogues that give the good mechs a bad name.
        I got stung once and now i don't trust em. I try to do the job myself weherever possible.
        Ian
        One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Hi all, heres a quick update.

After telling me they would pressure test the head today, the garage just advised they are going to strip the head down and do a visual. (This seems alot of work when a pressure test may reveal all?)

Can cracks in the head be seen visually, or would they just be looking to see if the head gasket is o.k., if the gaskets o.k. they could then send the head for checking i assume.

I may ask to see the head in bits for my own peice of mind to make sure they are actually looking at things.

Comment

Hi all, heres a quick update.

After telling me they would pressure test the head today, the garage just advised they are going to strip the head down and do a visual. (This seems alot of work when a pressure test may reveal all?)

Can cracks in the head be seen visually, or would they just be looking to see if the head gasket is o.k., if the gaskets o.k. they could then send the head for checking i assume.

I may ask to see the head in bits for my own peice of mind to make sure they are actually looking at things.
            Certainly from my experience the cracks can be seen very easily as they are on the head surface not internal. If it is cracked they will see it, however don't just let them fit a head, have a look at it yourself. Maybe I'm cynical but they could tell you it's cracked, charge you for a new head and then fit the old one if it wasn't cracked or even fit back the cracked head and fill it full of block seal. Make sure you get the old head back when they have done it to make sure that they really do do it. Then you can just dump it or make it into a coffee table

Cheers

Comment

Hi there, the cracks on mine were between the actual valves on 1 & 2 cylinders and very easy to see I would post some pictures if i could!!!!
              How much!

Comment

Helloooo again everybody!

Tudor, sorry to hear about your troubles - I thought someone had done a copy/paste from a thread I had on here a couple of weeks ago!According to Koi and Lucky (both propellor head/large frontal lobe types) these heads have a design fault and there's no amount of fixing/tinkering/praying/stitching you can do to fix that - trust me I tried all four! Tell the garage you will want a new head - ukcylanderheads.co.uk do the 'fixed' one for £595 + VAT and deliver the next day. Also let them know that the vehicle should never have left Japan as there was a recall - look back amongst Koi's threads is one on this subject - and they can claim the costs back. I'm in the process of trying that route at the moment.

The most important thing is the new heads are good and you'll have your Hilux back in a relatively short time. Don't let the garage talk you into any other solution - your head will go and by then you'll be out of warranty!

Cheers
                Torch

Comment

UPDATE.

I dont think the garage has even looked at the car properley. I called them again today to advise i was loosing the will to live and had not got much confidence in them. The garage agreed that if the head had gone they would not want to spend the money to rectify it. However, they have offered me my money back (decent of them) or a replacement 2.4 Surf which they have in stock to choose from or will locate a 3L surf for me. (waiting to see what the price is) Or i can have mine back and they will give me somemoney back to get the car repaired myself. I have spoken to UK Cylinder heads (great guys & gals) who will provide and fit a new head for just under £1k as i only live a few miles away this is a tempting proposition.

What are your thoughts, get a 3Litre or get a new head,

Comment

The problem with taking another 2.4 is that it could go again , so you could ask for £2000 to cover the head and inconvenience , at least you will know that it's been done properly , or go for a 3.0 ltr model for the same money .

It's worth a try !

Comment

UPDATE.

I dont think the garage has even looked at the car properley. I called them again today to advise i was loosing the will to live and had not got much confidence in them. The garage agreed that if the head had gone they would not want to spend the money to rectify it. However, they have offered me my money back (decent of them) or a replacement 2.4 Surf which they have in stock to choose from or will locate a 3L surf for me. (waiting to see what the price is) Or i can have mine back and they will give me somemoney back to get the car repaired myself. I have spoken to UK Cylinder heads (great guys & gals) who will provide and fit a new head for just under £1k as i only live a few miles away this is a tempting proposition.

What are your thoughts, get a 3Litre or get a new head,

Tell them you will take the 3.0 for no extra charge as a good will gesture for having yours off the road so long. Ask for £1600 to cover the costs of getting the head done elswhere and get UK cylinder heads to do it, their price is as cheap as chips, bit of money in your pocket as well.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Make sure that when they put the head back on they use new stretch bolts. When I had my head done under guarantee I think that this was one economy they made and I paid less than a year later when the head gasket went.

Keith

Comment

Update

After a few conversations i have dedcided to get my money back from the dealer. I will probably buy a 3L Surf. But first, again i need your help,

What problems should i look for on a 3L surf before i buy?

My 2.4 did 24mpg, will the 3L do the same.

Also what BHP is the 2.4 and the 3L.

Cheers chaps & chapesses.

Comment

I'm glad you are getting your money back. Jolly decent of them.
                            Can't help but think of the poor person who buys that Surf.
                            The garage agreed that if the head had gone they would not want to spend the money to rectify it.
                            10-1 they bodge it and re-sell it. And probably with no warranty.
                            Ian
                            One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

just do

just do up the bolts on the side o your head
                              S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Jeff, turn off the computer, and go out side.
                                while you are there, get a new calendar, and a battery for your watch...
                                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                                X