Air con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air con

When I press my air con button the light comes on but there is no change in engine tone and no cold air? (There is cold air just not air-conditioned cold air) all the levers are set to cold and everything looks ok! Ware do I start?

That pesky car salesman again!

When the aircon is switched on the wheel on the end of the pump should spin check this first
    Attached Files
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

That pulley spins all the time.There is a clutch mechanism which engages the pulley with the pump when button is pressed.There is also other things built into the air con system which will prevent this from working if low on gas.

Neville

Comment

I thought the end spins seperatley when button is pressed
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

The pulley with the belt spins all the time but the part in the middle doesn’t seem to spin whether the button is on or off. But it will turn by hand. Supposedly when I bought the car the air con had been re gassed.
          I’m not sure ware to start when it comes to air con has anyone got any ideas?
          Last edited by highlander; 2 February 2005, 20:43.

Comment

The centre should spin when the button is pressed. check fuses relays etc.
            If bought from a dealer ask them to sort it for you.
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

Already fallen out with dealer over the cracked head. I’ll check relays etc tomorrow cheers

Comment

Post your results for more help as my aircon & electrical knowledge is a little vague
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

The aircon will stop working if the gas pressure drops too low. There is a sensor for this. If the a/c was recently charged then you probably have a leak. Could be damaged a/c rad or dry seals in the pump. It should be exercised weekly even in winter. A proper refrigeration engineer will have a sniffer to locate a leak (of course he'll have to refill it first ££££).
                  Try your dealer first.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

how good is the aircon on the Surf should I get freeeezing cold air??? on warm it seems dryer but not sure how cold it should feel on cold and as its not summer im not too bothered at the moment.
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                      how good is the aircon on the Surf should I get freeeezing cold air??? on warm it seems dryer but not sure how cold it should feel on cold and as its not summer im not too bothered at the moment.
                      I nearly get frostbite from mine.

Neville

Comment

ok mine has issues then
                        will check the pulley tomorrow and see - prob needs gas sometime soon.
                        Tim

Comment

I am in this dilema too.
                          Compressor goes
                          Fan goes and so it should as I have just fitted a new one with a swish new control unit.
                          Air does not get cold
                          There is a little bit of gas in there as I gave the fill valve a tweak and it made a pitiful little hiss at me, and I could see a couple of bubbles in the sightglass on the top of the reservoir chamber.
                          I am confident that it only needs the gas topping up.
                          I had a ring round and most of the local AC shops said bring it in an coz its old will need this and this and $$$$$$$$$$
                          All I want is some gas and all they want is to rob me blind.
                          I hope to get it sorted soon as it is very hot na dhumid here right now.
                          Simon.O.
                          '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

right I have checked all my fuses behind the glove box and all seem fine n dandy - the clutch for the AC doesnt kick in when I press the button but by what you guys are saying is if its low on gas It will not cut in regardless???
                            Tim

Comment

Yes, it will stop working if its low on gas, to preserve the pump.

Best way to check is put the heater on a little to get warmish air, then turn on the a/c - you should notice the change. It doesnt work as well when the air temperature is cold anyway. All to do with relative humidity - cold air = less water to extract. Someytimes refilling will work if the gas has just leaked out through lack of use. But it can also be due to damage to the a/c radiator.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Working...
                              X