Surf shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf shocks

Can any one tell me how to set up soft and hard shocks with the electric motor at the top of each shock as how do i know which setting each shock is on?.

Originally posted by Knight007
    Can any one tell me how to set up soft and hard shocks with the electric motor at the top of each shock as how do i know which setting each shock is on?.
    As far as I know the electric adjustable shocks are valve operated. An electric solenoid can change the rate of hydraulic flow (and thus the amount of damping). In theory they are therefore just an on/off device with no set up involved. The only test you can do is apply 12V to the shock and see if it is harder or softer to compress and recover voltage on and voltage off.

Nevillef

Comment

The adjustable shocks have a separate motorised actuator on top of each one. The actuator turns a small (very) lug through 90 degrees and presumably the lug is attached to a valve inside the shock to restrict the flow of oil for a harder setting. The lug is actually buried inside the top of the shock so hard to get to and therefore unlikely to move once off the vehicle. Only really a problem if you took them off while set to HARD.

If you have disturbed the units (ie split them), you should be able to locate the lug and refit actuator twisting it as necessary, fasten the two setscrews then toggle the switch a couple of times to check everything is working normally. I should think the actuator will have a cut out at the end of each stroke so as long as you get the lug located properly, even if the shock is in the 'wrong' position initially, it will set itself as soon as the ignition goes on.

You can test the shock in each position by hand - soft is quite firm by hand but the difference should be quite noticeable.

Kev
      Last edited by exmee46; 23 January 2005, 23:50.

Comment

Working...
      X