Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wobble

i have a really bad case of stearing wheel wobble that starts at bout 45mph

i thought it was the balancing but quick fit said it was due to excessive play in the stearing rack and there is a chance the wheel could fall off.

does anyone think this is true, if so how easy is it to change a steering rack?

any info would be greatly recieved.

cheers

Wheel Bearings Or Balljoints Could Be The Cause. Also Check Wheel Nuts.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

idler arm bushes perhaps...?
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

is there any way of telling what the problem might be without paying somone who knows what they are doing

Comment

Originally posted by archie
          i have a really bad case of stearing wheel wobble that starts at bout 45mph

i thought it was the balancing but quick fit said it was due to excessive play in the stearing rack and there is a chance the wheel could fall off.

does anyone think this is true, if so how easy is it to change a steering rack?

any info would be greatly recieved.

cheers
          Just shows what a load of B*ll*ck brains Kwik Fit are, as you have a steering box and not a rack.

Comment

JACK the front up & manually move the wheels side to side & watch the balljoints. Ive added some pics which may help.
            Attached Files
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

i took it to my local garage and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. they swapped the back wheels with the front and it is fine now, so it probably was the balancing thus Kwick Fit don't know their a**e holes from their elbows

Comment

i took it to my local garage and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. they swapped the back wheels with the front and it is fine now, so it probably was the balancing thus Kwick Fit don't know their a**e holes from their elbows
                Are your tyres rotational?? this means they can only go on one side
                Gaz

Comment

Kwick Fit don't know their a**e holes from their elbows
                  Yup! Steering rack!!!!

Sure they actually looked under there?

Worth checking the idler arm though, we just discovered Lindas trucks one is way looser than others I've changed for people, but its not causing any problems yet but a repair kit is now winging its way to the homestead.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

the garage said there is a little play in one of the idler arms but nothing substantial, the mot is due soon so i will do all the bad stuff then

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                      Just shows what a load of B*ll*ck brains Kwik Fit are, as you have a steering box and not a rack.
                      LOL i work for Kwik Fit but as i rule i tend to agree with what you said
                      Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

mart, i know how you feel- i used to work for dixons....
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by mart 870
                          LOL i work for Kwik Fit but as i rule i tend to agree with what you said
                          I took advantage of their free safety check after I blew a tyre hitting a 10" x 12" x 6" thick piece of concrete at 50MPH. They said there was nothing else wrong. Took the (company) car to the Vauxhall main dealers. They had it three days, replaced several front suspension/steering components and one alloy wheel.
                          I wonder who was right? The main dealers said they (Kwickies) wouldn't have been bothered to quote, knowing it was a lease hire car, because they knew they wouldn't get the job anyway.

But then the main dealers may have been ripping the company off.................
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

At some of the centres the staff there do make me cringe (i`m a mobile tyre fitter btw) A while ago the manager at Slough was caught taking pot shots at passing cars with an air riffle lol To be honest you can teach monkeys to fit tyres so your always going to get gimps working for them plus Kwik Fit earned itself a very bad reputation in the 80`s and its never managed to shake it off no mate what they have tried.

Interested to read about the dealers saying Kwik fit wouldnt get the work as 95% of my jobs are on leased vehicles.
                            Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

Working...
                            X