wheel nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel nuts

Anyone out there in knowledge land got an easier way to remove a wheel nut thats pulled the spline out of the hub?(it wont go in and it wont come out) I`m the grey light of dawn away from setting to it with the gas axe.

I presume that it's stuck on the back of the wheel. If so, try grinding a couple of flats either side of the splined part, then clamp it very tightly in a large mechanics vice. That should hold it securely enough to get a torque wrench to loosen the nut from the top. But also try dosing the threads in the nut with WD40 or Plusgas or similar before you use the wrench on it.
    Mike G

Comment

Wheel nut

Thanks for the reply Mike, the wheel is still on the car, the other nuts come out but this bugger just turns, about ten mill out from the alloy. Hav`nt even got enough room to grind the nut head off.

Comment

Couldn't you undo all the other nuts so as the wheel will come of with the stuck one still on it and then grind it of from behind.

Comment

wheel nut saga

with the other five out, the thing still manages to hold in the hub but turn (?) had a thought though, praps i can cut a wooden wedge and beat in between the hub face and the back of the alloy forcing the stud out. (Have I just answered my own question?) Lee.

Comment

have i got this right? the pline on the stud is worn so when you try to loosen the nut it turns the stud too?

perhaps get a chisel inbetween the hub and wheel and cut the stud?
            can't think how it goes together off hand, is it front or rear?
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

wheel nut

Yep, and front n/s. Not enough room to get a chisel in till I can force the alloy forward or the stud further out of the hub. Clear as mud.

Comment

Hold nut and drill out the stud
                Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Lightly grind off the very top of the wheel nut if it covers over the top of the wheel stud until the stud is exposed. Put the ring end of a spanner or a tube spanner on the nut and wedge it against the wheel, drill through the wheel nut into the exposed end of the stud with a nice sharp drill bit (tapping size) Drill all the way down the nut until the nut drops off. Job done. Remove the wheel and assess the damage to the stud hole in the wheel hub, if its only lightly damaged you can safely fit a new stud as the splines will still grip, if its goosed it will be a new hub.
                  [SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]I can fix it...it won't be cheap.........or pretty![/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

wheel nuts

Thanks everyone, `bout wraps that one, I`ll give the outcome tomorrow if I`ve got any fingers left to type with.

Lee

Comment

Nuts

Originally posted by jet1749
                      Lightly grind off the very top of the wheel nut if it covers over the top of the wheel stud until the stud is exposed. Put the ring end of a spanner or a tube spanner on the nut and wedge it against the wheel, drill through the wheel nut into the exposed end of the stud with a nice sharp drill bit (tapping size) Drill all the way down the nut until the nut drops off. Job done. Remove the wheel and assess the damage to the stud hole in the wheel hub, if its only lightly damaged you can safely fit a new stud as the splines will still grip, if its goosed it will be a new hub.
                      GOD l hate it when some saya what you were going to say.
                      Live Life To The Full

Comment

wheel nuts

thanks everyone for their input- job done.Carefully grind off the nut cap as close to the wheel as you dare, then cut slices through the nut in toward the stud, i managed about four, (use a four & a half inch grinder with one mill thick stainless steel cutting disc) I then prised the nut apart with a screwdriver. Removed the alloy, thankfully with no damage and had a good look. The stud is flanged at the rear so not a chance of it coming through the hub.The splines on the stud looked u/s hence the turning.Remove the caliper and undo the hub nut and remove the thrust washer etc ,pull off the hub/brake disc assy`.Undo the disc from the hub & remove the damaged stud, clean out the hole with a bottle brush type wire brush and drive the new stud into the hub. If the hub splines are damaged replace the hub or tack the spline flange in four places with a welder, reasemble everything, job done. The new stud & crome nut came from Millners £5.32 next day. Actually took me longer to type this out than to do the job, also had the dash out to address a few probs & fit an mph speedo- found the middle warning lights plug out. All in all about 3.5 hours. Hopefully this rambling might help someone. Lee

Comment

Working...
                        X