Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Fog Lamp

Hi All
    I have broken two fog lamps of the back since I had the surf (1 a month!)
    Mine hangs below the bumper and hence gets caught.
    I am thinking of cutting out a slot in the bumper and setting it in there like the indicaters are in the front.
    Questions

1,can I run two fog lamps off the same wiring and switch ? (to give it a balanced look I thought I would do both sides)

2, Would it pass an MOT?

3, Would it severley weaken the strenght of the bumper?

Thanks
    Mark

Originally posted by madcampbell
    Hi All
    I have broken two fog lamps of the back since I had the surf (1 a month!)
    Mine hangs below the bumper and hence gets caught.
    I am thinking of cutting out a slot in the bumper and setting it in there like the indicaters are in the front.
    Questions

1,can I run two fog lamps off the same wiring and switch ? (to give it a balanced look I thought I would do both sides)

2, Would it pass an MOT?

3, Would it severley weaken the strenght of the bumper?

Thanks
    Mark
    Mark.

The answer is yes, yes and no. I have done the same on mine, got some scrap fog lamps off a Honda Integra at the local scrappy, fit in nice. Bumper is plenty strong enough for it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Thats just the Job
      Looks good
      Cheers Andy

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        Mark.

The answer is yes, yes and no. I have done the same on mine, got some scrap fog lamps off a Honda Integra at the local scrappy, fit in nice. Bumper is plenty strong enough for it.
        Is that the Chrome bumper? How do you finish off the edges of the hole?
        Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberSurf
          Is that the Chrome bumper? How do you finish off the edges of the hole?
          Don't need to, the lamps come in a plastic housing which overlaps the edges. Just painted the cut edges with some rust preventer and pushed the plastic housing in.

Cheers

Comment

Way cool, cant wait to join you guys on a romp and smash it off, so I have the reason to go to all the trouble when it works fine at the moment!

Comment

Way cool, cant wait to join you guys on a romp and smash it off, so I have the reason to go to all the trouble when it works fine at the moment!
              If you can find a pair of lamps at a scrapyard, it will take you 10 minutes to take them off, cost you about a tenner and then about 30 minutes to fit as long as you are reasonably OK with an angle grinder.

Cheers

Comment

Alternate method

An angle grinder sounds a bit dodgy, even though I am actualy very proficiant with one, I fancy drilling 4 holes then jigsawing between them, slow speed and big teefed blade with a splash of industrial cutting compound, will be just as fast, but with no misshaps (like skating across me chrome!)

Comment

Mine passed the MOT with this as a fog lamp!

It's one of those high level brake lights.
                  Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 17 November 2004, 17:37.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

An angle grinder sounds a bit dodgy, even though I am actualy very proficiant with one, I fancy drilling 4 holes then jigsawing between them, slow speed and big teefed blade with a splash of industrial cutting compound, will be just as fast, but with no misshaps (like skating across me chrome!)
                    Personally I think the angle grinder is less likely to slip than a drill (even making a pilot dent. You just need to mark well with tape and hold it steady. But whatever works for you will be OK. Only one problem with the grinder is not pressing too hard which can heat up the metal too much and make the chrome blow away from the base metal.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Only one problem with the grinder is not pressing too hard which can heat up the metal too much and make the chrome blow away from the base metal.

? press hard Yes or No

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Only one problem with the grinder is not pressing too hard which can heat up the metal too much and make the chrome blow away from the base metal.

? press hard Yes or No

Cheers
                        Mark
                        Sorry - press hard = NO. Generates too much heat, ends up melting rather than grinding away the metal which can cause the chrome bond to fail causing a rust problem.

Cheers

Comment

? press hard Yes or No

Cheers
                          Mark
                          I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, then went up to the marked line with one of those powerfile/ belt sander thingies.
                          Vince.

p.s. It took me a couple of hours to fit two fog lights, I bought two cheapies from local car accessory place, so no surrond to cover any mishap.
                          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 November 2004, 19:51.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the info
                            Cheers
                            Mark
                            will post a picky when done !

Comment

I've seen a 4-Runner with the fog lamp mounted in the rear door panel on the offside, not the bumper. OK if you dont have the spare hanging off the back door.

Does anyone know what the Construction & Use regs say about where the lamp can be fitted? I was thinking also maybe modding the reversing lamps - leave one as is, split the wiring and paint one bulb red.

They are only 18watt - thats why they are fairly useless - can you get 21 watt versions of the push in bulbs?

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Working...
                              X