Rear spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear spot

Im trying to find a single spot to mount at the back of the car, any ideas where to buy from or do I have to buy a spot light pack instead?
    Cheers
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Try This

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/work_lamps.htm

Comment

OK got a spot light now just need to fit and wire it.

It has a little switch on it - on the back it the wire going to the halogen bulb and a free terminal. Do I just wire that to a power source? Where from and do i need an earth??? Any idea for cabel thickness - its a 55w halogen bulb.

Please help me quick as I would like to do it today. Also any ideas for drilling the bodywork? I want to mount it to the left of the rear window level with the top (so it does not stick up above the cars roofline). Masking tape then drill through?

Thanks muchly

Tim
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        OK got a spot light now just need to fit and wire it.

It has a little switch on it - on the back it the wire going to the halogen bulb and a free terminal. Do I just wire that to a power source? Where from and do i need an earth??? Any idea for cabel thickness - its a 55w halogen bulb.

Please help me quick as I would like to do it today. Also any ideas for drilling the bodywork? I want to mount it to the left of the rear window level with the top (so it does not stick up above the cars roofline). Masking tape then drill through?

Thanks muchly

Tim
        OK made it simpler. Should I wire direct to the battery or can I do it somewhere else at the rear of the car?

PLEASE HELP!
        Tim

Comment

OK made it simpler. Should I wire direct to the battery or can I do it somewhere else at the rear of the car?

PLEASE HELP!
          is it just one single spot with 55w bulb or is there two????
          if two i would fit to battery via a relay.
          not sure about one but may be better to do that any way.....
          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
            is it just one single spot with 55w bulb or is there two????
            if two i would fit to battery via a relay.
            not sure about one but may be better to do that any way.....
            one spot with a 55w bulb mate... any ideas?
            Tim

Comment

one spot with a 55w bulb mate... any ideas?
              i would fit a relay in the engine compatment and then run yor cables to your spot this way you know you wont melt any of the wiring loom. you can pick up a relay pack from say halfrauds for around £12 ish they will also advise on the correct size wire i would go for at least 10 amp.....on a 55w bulb.....

hope this helps.........

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                i would fit a relay in the engine compatment and then run yor cables to your spot this way you know you wont melt any of the wiring loom. you can pick up a relay pack from say halfrauds for around £12 ish they will also advise on the correct size wire i would go for at least 10 amp.....on a 55w bulb.....

hope this helps.........
                Thanks mate was wondering doing a relay, hehe next question which terminal goes where or you relaying (haha) on Halfrauds knowledge ?
                Only wired one before and that was for air horns on my old car - not got round to putting them on the Surf yet.

Gonna have loads of things on the battery terminal - anything I can put on instead of filling up the existing bolts i remember seeing one a while back.

Thanks
                Tim

Comment

Thanks mate was wondering doing a relay, hehe next question which terminal goes where or you relaying (haha) on Halfrauds knowledge ?
                  Only wired one before and that was for air horns on my old car - not got round to putting them on the Surf yet.

Gonna have loads of things on the battery terminal - anything I can put on instead of filling up the existing bolts i remember seeing one a while back.

Thanks
                  hi mate the relay pack comes with full instructions as where to put what wires you also get a switch and a limited amount of cable (enough to wire a pair of spots on the front ) you will require the same type of wire what is in the pack but 3 to 4 times the lenght. use the wire in the pack as a guide to what amp you need just follow instructions and should all be ok.....you can "relay" on halfrauds... you got me at it now lol.........

Comment

problems

Right spoke to my mechanic and he said as I was wiring to the battery then just put in an inline fuse. This is what Ive done and the wiring but it doenst work... power is getting to the light - i have checked.

BATT --> cable --> 20A fuse --> cable --> Switch --> light (wire comes from centre of the bulb - prewired) --> Earth.

Def got power to light im not sure ive wired correctly inside the spot though.

ANy ideas...
                    Tim

Comment

2 Wires one BLACK & one WHITE ????
                      White is usually LIVE
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        2 Wires one BLACK & one WHITE ????
                        White is usually LIVE
                        Black is usually Earth, hence white is Pos

Have you a good earth?

You might need a "Meter" or test bulb to check
                        Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Use a relay m8 It will be safer.

Cable and fuse is worked out using formula... P=IxV transposed to

I(amps)=P(55)/V(12)
                          I = 4.5 amps. so a 5 amp fuse would do the trick and then wire at 5 amp or above.

The relay will come with instructions and you should also use an in line fuse.

Or you can also buy a relay with a built in fuse holder on the load leg.

Good luck

Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H
                            Use a relay m8 It will be safer.

Cable and fuse is worked out using formula... P=IxV transposed to

I(amps)=P(55)/V(12)
                            I = 4.5 amps. so a 5 amp fuse would do the trick and then wire at 5 amp or above.

The relay will come with instructions and you should also use an in line fuse.

Or you can also buy a relay with a built in fuse holder on the load leg.

Good luck

Phil.
                            agree with phil on this i would fit a relay then you know your sorted......

Comment

What have you connected the earth too? If you have power to the terminal at the bulb then it can only be a bad earth connection.
                              Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X