Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New immobiliser - cold start problems

Hi,

been lurking here a while - just recently acquired a '95 3.0tdi and very impressed I am too. However, decided an immobiliser would be a good idea and had my local car hifi/alarm shop do the job this week. Ever since, first thing in the morning she doesn't want to start, unless you give it some gas and then it goes. Fine later in the day but not after standing overnight. If the immobiliser cuts the fuel pump as well as the ignition, might it be that ? Any suggestions gratefully rec'd before I take it back - would like to be able to tell them what it (probably) is, rather than watch them struggle.

Don't know much about it myself but this thread might help you
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4879

Comment

Thanks for that Rob, hadn't seen that when I searched.

I did however see some threads that suggested maybe either the water trap on the fuel filter might need looking into, or the glow plug fuse might be duff.
      Interestingly, I had the dash out today to sort the MPH speedo dial and while it was out I cleaned the connectors on all the dash light bulbs - now have lots of lights working that weren't before ! The water indicator is now lit, until it starts - maybe that's it. Will check it tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds like they've cut the glowplugs, do you get the glowplug warning light before starting it?

Check the fuse box under the bonnet, large 80amp fuse is in there for the plugs, or put a meter on the bus bar with the ignition on. (they're only on for a few secs befor starting)
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Glowplug pre-heater light comes on, now I have cleaned up all the bulbs ! Will check the fuses etc. in the morning...

Comment

Working...
          X