Heated rear window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated rear window

Hi just got my surf and want to checkout the heated rear window now the winter is nearing , when the ignition is on and the rear window switch is switched on the relay can be heard, also if the rear window is down the switch will not illuminate until the window is raised. Can anyone tell me if the element does not become live until the engine is running as if the switch is left on and the ignition is left on the battery will very quickly drain, also will put a strain on engine starting, i recall on another car i had that the window element would not heat-up until the engine was running. I have removed the rear panel and checked the connection to the element and all ok,thanks for any replies.

Sometimes the 2 wires that attach to the rear window at the bottom snap off through rear window use, So if you find it doesnt work remove the carpet covered rear panel to see if they are loose.
    Mine works with ignition on
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

I did that little job this morning. The heater was not working and I found that the connectors had worked loose and fallen off.

Open the tailgate and remove the carpeted trim - it just pops off if you pull gently at the edges.
      Remove the black painted metal inner panel (about 6 or 7 crosshead screws)
      Carefully peel back the polythene membrane from the nearside about halfway across.
      Now close the tailgate and raise the window about 2 inches short of fully up. Get into the boot via the back seats, taking a torch. You'll find the cable(s) with spade connectors at the lower nearside edge of the window carrier frame towards the top of the opening you have made into the works. Look a little further towards the nearside using the torch and you'll see the two spades themselves. Reconnect the wires (I doubt it matters which way round) and Robert is your Mother's Brother.
      Carefully reverse the procedure above taking care to get the polythene adhering nicely and hope for damp and mist tomorrow so you can feel triumphant.

Whilst you are doing this job, it's probably a good idea to check that the drain holes in the bottom of the tailgate are clear.

Cheers

Kev
      Last edited by exmee46; 10 October 2004, 22:50.

Comment

The defogger won't work with window down, but it should be on with the ignition on.

Have you checked you have 12V at the connections? the wire often breaks about 3-4 inches up the wiring, so it looks OK, the wire is broken inside its sheath.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Heated rear window

Hi,
          Thanks for the replies removed the wiring and pulled on the connector and one came away about 6 inches from the spade, also gave the other one a good tug and this came away also just about to go as well , will piece out wire and solder tomorrow.

Comment

Thought I'd fixed mine about a week ago when I found standard broken wire at spade connector. Still didn't work. Gave wire a tug today and sure enough it was broken about 6" down inside the sleeve. Seems like they are all like it.

I cut outer sleeve and slid end higher up towards the good connector. Exposed some more of the broken wire and gave the copper wire a good clean with some wire wool (making sure all the corrosion was off the individual strands). Dipped each end in a good flux and soldered together. Taped over join, slid outer sleeve back down and taped over cut I'd made. Taped sleeve back to plastic bracket / holder under the window and panelled it back up.

Have just been out with kids in car and parked at shops. Asked them to breath as much as possible to steam up windows while I was gone. Came back to a lovely steamed up car.. Switched on demister and......IT WORKS !!!!!

Comment

What's the best way to seal the plastic sheet back on to the tailgate? My window is a little slow so am thinking if giving it a grease up over the weekend? Presumably some form of silicone adhesive to stick the plastic cover back down. Is the plastic cover needed?
              Cheers.

Comment

The plastic acts a moisture barrier, probably not essential but if it's in decent condition the use some double sided tape to stick it back down.
                You can easily cut another bit of plastic to shape if yours gets damaged.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

As per everyone else, broken wire....now fixed and I have a clearing rear windscreen.
                  On a slightly different note, has anyone suffered from the rear glass being scratched as it goes up and down. I've got two vertical scratches near the top of the glass. While in the back I had a good look around but can't see anything that's causing it???? Can anyone shed any light?
                  Thanks for the tips.

Comment

The scratches are caused by grit getting trapped between the glass and the weather strip at the bottom of the glass.
                    Put the window down and clean the inside edge of the weather strip.

I clean mine every time I walk around the back of the car (if I remember) I usually just put my finger behind the strip and wipe across, it helps to keep it clean.

Also, if possible clean the glass before opening the window especially if the back of the car is mucky.
                    Regards John

Comment

Working...
                    X