Car won't turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car won't turn off

Hi guys, new here and have a problem so bare with me. Just curious if anybody has ever had this issue or may know the answer. Just got myself a 93 surf 2.4td . I went to turn it off yesterday and can take the key out but the engine still runs. I can actually drive it; however all the dash stuff goes off. My thoughts are it is either the ignition switch or the aftermarket immobiliser is causing some sort of interference. Any help would be appreciated.

Jt
    Last edited by JTroc; 27 February 2016, 18:52. Reason: Attract more attention

Sounds like a fuel shut off valve failure.

Comment

no fuel shut off valve on those.

does it run well or run like crap ?
      if running perfectly fine then ecu is getting power.

has it got a turbo timer ?
      possible immobilizer has one built in or is faulty.

without checking the wiring diagram i guess the other cause is faulty efi relay. contacts may have welded together so ecu is still getting power.

Comment

does it stop in a short while or run
        on forever if so how do you stop it
        if it stops in a shrt while after taking out key
        i would say as last answer turbo timer
        and then that would be normal
        the old git

Comment

Plot thickens. Got really cold last night and battery died. Got it jump started and the problem resolved itself. Befor I got it started the immobiliser wouldn't shut off because of the low battery leading me to believe it may be an immobiliser issue. Now however I have no dashboard lights???? Not sure if it's related or an ill timed red herring. Battery has been replaced and alternator seems to be keeping it charged so hopefully the immobiliser won't act up again. It's an old aftermarket thing. Would just rip it out but not sure what to cut 😖

Comment

Actually just checked around the forum and found a post relating to dash lights and leading me to the fuse. I checked and it has popped. So I will replace that tomorrow and see if I'm back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by JTroc View Post
              Actually just checked around the forum and found a post relating to dash lights and leading me to the fuse. I checked and it has popped. So I will replace that tomorrow and see if I'm back on track.
              I love it when a plan comes together
              Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Working...
              X