Drivers window switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers window switches

Do these suffer badly? Im on my 2nd one thats crapped out. I can only get front passenger side up and down, and rear drivers side up and down. The other two dont do anything...

Its got daml a few times on top.. Perhaps this hasnt helped..!

Ive stripper it down and all seems hunky dory. Its suddenly stopped working, and i cant imagine both motors have blown at once, surely?! (Yet to test the rear passenger side via the rear switch)

Edit. Rear passenger worked using rear switch, then the drivers switch for said window worked. So looks like motors goosed! Is this a hard job?

Comment

It's just the copper rockers in the switches that get arc burn, black deposit builds up and the thing works intermittently or not at all, basically you have to strip each switch down, clean the contacts, smear a little conductive grease on em and re-fit,
      the master switch on the drivers door is perhaps the worst but if you take care stripping it and do it on a indoors desk or some place where bits wont fall out and get lost it is straightforward, I have some pics of the internals if you require them, (don't worry if you do loose a part I got a few spare bits I think
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Sounds more likely to be broken wires in the wiring harness where it goes through the rubber tube between the door and the body. There's a thread on here somewhere that shows you how to strip it all out and repair it. I did mine last summer. If I can find the thread I'll link it.

Edit:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...+wiring+repair

Comment

Thanks all..

I re built the switches back up and all works again now!!!!

The spring for the window lock button came out. Any clue where it goes?

I ordered a spare window motor and switch panel last night. So ill have a spare now. But my window motor has never sounded great so thats not reqlly a nad thing to have a spare!

The contacts did look black.. Ill strip down the 'new one' when it arrives and make sure they are all clean..

Comment

Do not put any sort of lube on the contacts themselves. This make them burn more. Don't ask how I know this.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks nev, and quite interesting.

Ill realistically not stip it down tbh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
                Thanks nev, and quite interesting.

Ill realistically not stip it down tbh!!
                Should have been more specific I think. I used a switch and contact cleaner which contained a lubricant. After this, the switches played up again, so I took it all apart again. The switches were a mess. Melted plastic and badly burnt contacts, which I am sure was caused by the lube. Ended up replacing the whole switch panel with a new one. Wasn't cheap. My surf now suffers from the broken wires between the door and body. Got to have the drivers side door in the right position for windows to work.

Nev.

Comment

Working...
                X